Seawater vs Saltwater refractometer

steveoutlaw

Ok, so there is all this hype about seawater vs saltwater refractometers. So, I purchase a D-D seawater refractometer to make sure everything is ok. When I compared it to my old no name refractometer......it was identical. So then I tried it on RODI water and they both read spot on zero. So either my really old refractometer is ahead of it's time or this is just a marketing scheme!!

yeah,, i think its just a ploy from manufacturers to get people to buy a new one.. seawater and "home made" saltwater are similar enough (since you are testing the measure of salt in the water) that any refractometer that is calibrated correctly should both have the same numbers....

That's good news. It's not always the case, though. There are some cheap refractometers out there that have poorly designed scales. Personally, it wouldn't matter to me if I was using my $20 EBay model or a DD model costing 4 times as much, I'd still calibrate it in the vicinity of where I intended to make a measurement rather than using RO/DI or distilled. I'd do this to minimize offset and linear measurement errors.

I picked up a high end refractometer from a member leaving the hobby this week and I tested it to my cheap $20 Ebay one. When calibrated with R/O water my cheap one was off, instead of my tank being at 1.025 it was actually 1.021. Once calibrated with the proper solution it was accurate which shows the scale is off on the cheapo unit.

I recently purchased the Milwaukee digital refractometer and I have to say it is one of the nicest pieces of test equipment I have ever purchased. I know a refractometer is already pretty easy to use, but once you use one of these you will never want to go back. It calibrates with a few drops of ro water and the press of a buttan and gives you an instant reading with a few drops of saltwater and the press of a button. No option to calibrate with calibration fluid, but it matches the calibration fluid perfectly when calibrated with ro. Not sure if it is setup for seawater or saltwater though :biggrin:

Funny thing is, the D-D directions say to use RO water and not a calibration fluid.

Mine too so was confused. This is my first Refractometer.

Have you tried calling BRK or F&F?

I tried BRK but I guess they were busy so I will again later.

Funny thing is, the D-D directions say to use RO water and not a calibration fluid.

If it's a well designed and aligned scale, and it's temperature compensating, it'll probably be just fine and with minimal error. Certainly, distilled or RO/DI water should be more readily available than calibration fluid. The problem is that there are many calibration fluids out there and it's easy to misapply one. For example, using a 53 mS/cm fluid to calibrate a refractometer is bad practice; likewise using a 1.0264 sg fluid to calibrate the same. It's best to calibrate a particular instrument using a reference that was designed for it. Over the long haul, even with the D-D refractometer, it would probably be a good idea to verify it from time to time against a known standard, just to confirm that it hasn't fallen into misalignment.

I disagree. Its best to calibrate these things with a solution that is near the point of interest. I could care less if its accurate at 1.010. I want to know if 1.026 reads correctly. If I calibrate at 1.026, then I know that point is correct and when it reads 1.026, that's what I have - not 1.022 or 1.030 from some scale error even though its accurate at zero. I want to know 1.026 is right when it says that.

I disagree. Its best to calibrate these things with a solution that is near the point of interest. I could care less if its accurate at 1.010. I want to know if 1.026 reads correctly. If I calibrate at 1.026, then I know that point is correct and when it reads 1.026, that's what I have - not 1.022 or 1.030 from some scale error even though its accurate at zero. I want to know 1.026 is right when it says that.

Disagree with who or what? My recommendation is to calibrate around the point of interest. My other comment was regarding D-D's (the manufacturer) instruction, which is to use RO water. With a well aligned, designed, and compensated scale, calibrating with RO water will be fine, though perhaps not as accurate.

True. But be sure that it's seawater reference. If it's saline, you need to match it to its intended equipment.

(Sent from my phone.)

Ok. Since we are discussing this, could we possibly bring our refractometers to the next club meeting, Tom, & have a mini seminar of correct calibration? Please?

Somewhat off topic, sort of sorry, but I get so lost on this topic!