Softies and Stocking

Formerly Freshwater

Finally getting around to setting up an old 37 bowfront I had as a salt tank. I'm hoping to use a double LED strip at the top for lighting, but I know nothing about soft corals and I was wondering if anybody had some good species to suggest for a beginner. Also, I was thinking of stocking it with a Flame Angel, some Firefish, a pair of clowns Clowns, and maybe a Green Mandarin later in time. Any thoughts?

Good starting softies would be mushrooms, green star polyps, kenya trees, zoanthids/palythoas, etc.

Keep in mind that one of the things that makes these corals easy for beginners is they grow well and rapidly under many conditions... Also, since they do grow so well (especially under good conditions) they tend to take over a tank so some folks avoid these corals at all costs once they gain some experience.

I would say a gentle no to the mandarin until you upgrade. I know many can be kept on frozen in smaller tanks, but that is with multiple feedings a day and a good supply of pods, which your firefish will like to munch on in that size of aquarium. Its just too hard on the fish imo as it can be hard on us to keep up with their diet all day. Keeping shrimp that breed regularly like cleaners or peppermints can help with food as well but still would recommend a larger tank even with that additional food source.

Besides, why not go for a pair and watch them dance? wub.gif

Edited by YiatzOfEden

Your fish list seems fine to me. For soft corals I would recommend mushrooms, xenia, zoanthids,leather corals, toadstools, and star polyps. Tell us with exact light you plan to use so we can make sure it is big enough? What filter are you going to use?

yes we need your lighting that u will be using... as far as the mandrin I would wait till u upgrade to a larger system, these fish eat 24/7 in the tank....and it must be a well established tank at that

Your fish list seems fine to me. For soft corals I would recommend mushrooms, xenia, zoanthids,leather corals, toadstools, and star polyps. Tell us with exact light you plan to use so we can make sure it is big enough? What filter are you going to use?

Ill probably be using a big hang on filter for a short time before I upgrade to a 10 gallon sump.

I agree on the advice given. Definitely hold off on the mandarin for a while. As for softies, they are a great starting coral. some of them are actually HARD to kill, even if you try! Mushrooms are great, leathers, and zoas! Definitely a lot there to get you started. Mr. Coral in Frederick has frags of each for just $10 each! Petland in Fairfax also has frags of them for as low as $5 each!