Heaters for Reef Tanks

Ryan S

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which Heater Setup Do You Use?

• A Heater w/o a Controller.
    • A Heater with a Controller (such as Apex).
    • A Heater with a Dedicated Controller.
    • A Heater with a Dedicated Controller and a Controller (such as Apex).

I am leaning towards getting a normal heater, such as the Finnex HPS Heater Series - Digital Submersible. I don't have a controller yet, but down the road, would get an Apex and use that to control the heater.

Another option is getting the Titanium Heater with JBJ TRUE TEMP Digital Controller. The cost would jump from $24.95 to $129.99; but the latter comes with a dedicated controller. So my question is this. Do most of you use a normal titanium heater with a controller such as an Apex, or do you use a dedicated controller, neither, or both?

Edited by Ryan S

I use a heater integrated into my chiller that has an on-board dual stage controller (TECO). I also safety net the heater/chiller combo by plugging it into a controller that turns the outlet off if temperature is a few degrees outside the normal "green" band.

So my answer is "both."

I cant remember the brand of the titanium heater or wattage <yikes>, but it runs thru a JBJ controller. I like the digital readout, it takes the guessing out. I also have a $10 digital thermometer to double check the number of the JBJ. They are off about .8 degrees, but I know I am in the right range.

A heater on a controller like an apex (jr, lite, etc) is the way to go IMHO. That way, if the temp gets to high, you can take corrective action like shut down lights and turn on fans. You can also send yourself an email alert that something's up.

I use a stealth heater on my apex. I've used lots and lots of stealth heaters and they've been very reliable when on a controller (built in thermostat can burn out and it'll stay on sometimes). However, there was a string of bad ones and they had some trouble. I'm not sure that I would buy another. I don't know what I would recommend at this point for the actual heater.

I used the JBJ heater controller on a holding tank I was running for a while. It worked out great, however has a 2 degree swing (1 degree +/- the set temp) like many heaters. I use an Apex on my main tank. With an Apex you can eliminate the 2 degree swing, but you'll have more on/off cycles with your heater.

Edited by Hayden

Get it out of that category as soon as possible.

A heater is one of those things that when it does break, everything dies.

Hasn't happened in well over 20 years...I am not one to add complexity for no good reason.

Of course, using stealth heaters would constitute a good reason in my opinion...and the opinion of its own manufacturer that recalled all of them...

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

I only use Ebo/Eheim Jager heaters, but anything mechanical can break no matter how much success you've had with it in the past. A failed heater would be a very painful "told you so" moment, especially considering how cheap a simple temperature controller is. I have mine plugged into an Apex, but if I didn't have a controller I would use a Ranco or something similar. A simple controller isn't much added complexity, but it is a nice bit of insurance.

Hasn't happened in well over 20 years...I am not one to add complexity for no good reason.

Of course, using stealth heaters would constitute a good reason in my opinion...and the opinion of its own manufacturer that recalled all of them...

Well, I have had a thermostat in one go bad in 4 years. That one time, it heated my tank up over 90 degrees and killed just about everything in it. Hundreds of dollars of damage. A $40 ranco controller or a $100-150 entry level controller would have prevented the loss.

FWIW, my stealth heaters are all pre-recall. In the years preceding the ones that started getting recalled, they were regarded by many as a good quality heater. I don't know if something changed in the manufacturing process or what, but the old ones seem to be much better than the new ones.

Edited by hypertech

I've had so many heaters screw up I've lost count. They're always controlled by my AC3. I never realize they're broken until I hook them up by themselves for another purpose and see the temperature continue to rise way over the setting on the heater itself. Brands that have gone haywire on me:

All-Glass

Hydor

Ebo-Jager

Finnex titanium w/external probe and controller

Visi-Therm Stealth

If you've never had a heater failure in 20 years, congrats! I've only been in the hobby for 5 years and I kill them like it's going out of style. I would not be in the hobby if it weren't for the controller saving my bacon.

Brands that have gone haywire on me:

All-Glass

Hydor

Ebo-Jager

Finnex titanium w/external probe and controller

Visi-Therm Stealth

darn, a finnex? That's the one I was leaning towards. It sounds like ALL heater brands fail I guess...

darn, a finnex? That's the one I was leaning towards. It sounds like ALL heater brands fail I guess...

Sorry, I double checked and it's a ViaAqua, not a Finnex. I've never owned a Finnex. :) Still, it has its own external controller and probe, but went on its own way eventually.

I use the finnes shown in the link and I love it. The pictures don't really show it, but there is an external temp sensor that mounts beside the heater for more accurate temp control. I have had it for about 9 months with no issues.