Fuge lights

emissary

So I just put in an order for some fuge lights. Par 38, 5100k, 23 watt (for the deep sump fuge) and 16 watt (for the 10G above-tank fuge) weather-resistant compact flourescent floodlights.

https://www.buylighting.com/store/cart/purc...F0D67068C058408

Dunno if that link will work for others... but this buylighting place seems like a reasonable place to buy these kinds of lights. Cheaper than the others I found and shipping's more reasonable too. Just FYI.

hey -- question. What kind of socket do I have to plug the 23 watt bulb into? One that can accomodate a 100W bulb, or one that can accomodate a 40W bulb? ... That is to say... when a compact flourescent is advertised as being comparable to a 60W bulb... I usually put it in a 60W socket. Could I put it in a 40W socket?

I'd go on the cautious side, but the details of watts and light output are a mixture of points. On usage- If the higher efficiency bulb uses only 23 watts regardless of the output, it's pulling 23 watts thru the fixture, I believe you just need something that will handle it. Not much of a challenge in this case.

Post an update on your results. I saw a post by davelynn123 on a CF light from HD that he suggested for temporary use to someone whose ballast needed to be sent back to the mfr. I decided to try these too. It has a plastic housing and lens and is weather rated. I'm trying two. Maybe I'll have it together this weekend.

FF

I have the HD lights of America-6500 K light in the plasctic casing over my fuge has been running off cycle for a year- I think it does great for macro algea- No problems yet.

regards,

Okay, so that's a big help to me. What I noticed about the Lights of Am. is that it has a sturdy but cheesy white plastic reflector. I initially looked that the other bulb and thought- well that's going to be another hot surface to have to clean salt off of. Then I realized it's still CF, it's shaped just like a flood but it won't be hot, and it encorporates a good reflector.

So I had planned for using two lights - that should provide enough light for lps and low light sps frags. I already used one of the Lights of Am., but I'm thinking of installing the the one from Buylighting as the second one to compare.

In the end, I think that we are often paying a premium for some of the light fixtures as long it it has the terms "Marine" or Aquarium" printed on the box.

The plan is to put an eggcrate across the top area of the sump and use it as a place to keep frags safe and hopefully help them grow out. They are always getting toppled in the tank. So in terms of general opinion, is the 6500k substantially better than a 5100k? We don't have a par meter {yet!!}. But if the 6500 is more in the range for proper growth as I've read, even with the chessy reflector at least it's giving the corals the light they need. Even if a light is stronger, it's no help if it's in the wrong part of the spectrum. And there's always aluminum foil to line the cheesy reflector with...

This should put a ton of light out in the correct spectrum using high efficiency rated bulbs. And the cost is cheap.But one might be a better choice than the other. Opinions?

FF

I have the HD lights of America-6500 K light in the plasctic casing over my fuge has been running off cycle for a year- I think it does great for macro algea- No problems yet.

regards,

33912[/snapback]

Hey Emmisary:

I bought one of your bulbs to try because I like the idea of an internal reflector. I also bought a 55 watt CF 65k that is equivelent to a 300w bulb., but it is exposed, so I need to get a housing.

I guess the PAR meter will be a great asset though!

FF

FF,

I just cleaned my LOA 65W floodlight over my fuge the other day and I think the reflector is actually metal. It is painted white, which actually does a decent job in terms of light reflection. Granted it isn't anodized aluminum, but a white reflector is effective.

It's spectrum is better for coral growth over a bulb with a color temp of 5100K IMO. I read someone (can't remember where) used one of these over their frag growout tank and they had very good results. I'm getting ready to set up a frag/growout tank and will be using some type of 6500K lighting over it. This light can be yellowish, but in general gives the best growth IMO.

This use will be the same, frag and growout and a fuge. I see that they ordered the PAR meter.

We'll get to see how they compare for real!!!

Now watch watch happens, I bet the debate will rage on. One point that I read, and of course forgot is that the water quality - amount of particulate matter affects how much light get to the colonies. Makes sense. Even suddenly running carbon can shock a colony if the water improves dramatically.

But someone, somewhere is then going to ask whether the salt mix matters...

FF

Hi Emmisary:

I just received the 2 bulbs that I ordered. 1 55 watt CF "equivelent to a 300w bulb, and 1 the CF Floods you mention. I definately can't wait to hook them up.

The only problem is that the 55w is a bare bulb. It's probably safe, but I'd prefer to put it in an enclosed fixture or have a guard. The problem is that I haven't seen any. I know that I can rig a lens/guard out of some scrap acrylic or even a glass pane, but a fixture would be neater and nicer. Have you seen any that you can recommend?

FF