Sometimes I think my fish tank hates me .....

hypertech

<start rant>

OK, so first there was the sand that made a cloud if you looked at it funny. So, I got rid of that.

Then, the algae started. And it just won't go away. It seems like I'm finally winning its a stinky brown goo now when I pull it out (and the smell is starting to spread out of the tank).

This weekend, it was time to catch the tang that I sold. So, I put in the trap. Next up - baiting the trap. Oh, crap, the WHOLE container of pellets falls into the tank. Cue one hour of siphoning out pellets. Hopefully the fish are hungry. Oh, and that algae, guess who's going to spend the next week on extra maintenance duty plucking it out from the spike in nutrients. At least the skimmer does a good job and has pulled a full cup of stinky nasty stuff out over the next day or so.

And, that expensive fish food. We better try to save it and put a fan on it to try to dry it out and salvage it. Of, course, that smells like roses. Cue, "the look."

Now to today, I pick algae. Great, now my arm smells like algae. That's OK, I made a deal on a new fish that I'm picking up. That'll be great. Time to acclimate new fish. I acclimate new fish in a 2 cup measuring cup hung inside the sump. I slowly use a turkey baster to remove bowl water and add tank water.

In the meantime, why not pick some more algae. OK, cool, lets pick some more algae. Oh, times up! The fish is acclimated. Pick up measuring cup - except now you have slimey algae water logged fingers and you fumble it .... right into the air line for skimmer which comes off. That's right, the full skimmer cup you were going to clean after you got done picking algae.

Now, the skimmer is overflowing in a fit of rage and spewing the skimmer gunk and water all over the tank, stand, and floor. It is seriously coming out like a fountain.

Why, oh, why do you hate me fish tank.

Man I needed a good laugh....and to think I was the only reefer out there that had days like that.....wait till your 75 gallon sump decides to break and leak all over the floor....... :rolleyes: so much fun cleaning that up.... :clap:

Man I needed a good laugh....and to think I was the only reefer out there that had days like that.....wait till your 75 gallon sump decides to break and leak all over the floor....... :rolleyes: so much fun cleaning that up.... :clap:

Or your 72 gallon display could do that at 4 in the morning lol :cry:

AHHH or like when my power went out for 4 days up in Washington state in the dead of winter,, it was 23 outside.. and got down to 50 in the house.. yep.. scary... water in the sump got icey...(thank god it was an acrylic sump and tank) had 4 comforters on the 150g tank for days .. it got down to 62 in the tank,,, nothing died

That sucks, Matt. At least you didn't flood your basement with topoff water. I did that in my last place (rental!) 3 or 4 times. Who knew that pure water could create such powerful smelling mildew? It's even better in the winter when you can't open the windows without freezing everything.

No. He's not hungry. I don't know why.

And, today, my single remaining chromis jumped and was found on the floor :(

I also ordered a pressure switch from avast to install in my skimmer lid to prevent the fuming volcano of skimmer goo from ever happening again.

Don't worry you are not the only one. My 180 upgrade has been nothing but a pain in my butt since the begining. It's starting to make me wish I never upgraded to it and shut down my 72.

OMG, I'm going to start throwing salt around to try to kick the bad juju.

I came him to a tank covered in brown algae and bubbles. OK, that's new. Not sure if it means its dying off or if it is a growth spurt from the food dump. I guess I'd better do a water change. So I setup, shut off the pump and start sucking out the junk.

Only, the algae had plugged the overflow teeth, the main tank was running a quarter inch too high and the sump quietly overflowed while I was working on it and didn't notice. I get done and go to pump the new water in and discover a quarter inch of water in the bottom of the stand. ;/

ugh.. yeah that was a lovely nutrient rich nightmare...

Its gotta all be from that extra food... well they say bad things happen in 3's.. means your done!

good luck (or atleast average) from NOW till.. what 1 year is about when it starts again?