LED build list for my tank

m3fan8ic

Following is what I am deciding for my 144gl half circle tank, I would like to heard your input/suggestions?

24 x XM-L T6 Cool White ($204)

48 x XT-E Royal Blue ($192)

2 x 18x 8.46 heatsinks (36leds on each) ($44.27ea)

3x ELN 60-48D (XT-E) ($34ea)

2 x ELN 60-27D (XM-Ls) ($34 ea)

24 x 60 degree optics (XM-L)($1.25ea)

48 x 80 degree optics (XT-E) ($1.25ea)

Guest thefishman65

I would consider neutral over cool white. I did just cool and will be changing at least half to neutral.

Consider the HLG for the RB rather than 3 ELNs.

How high are you mounting the lights?

Guest thefishman65

IMO there is not enough of red in the spectrum of the CW. Red looks washed out. Much nicer with a little red. Justin and Tina (?) were over the other night and she said that I had the orangest flame angel she had ever seen (I think that was it). I shined a regular old light bulb (incandescent) on the Flame and she said that is what she was used to seeing. Hope that shines a little more light on things.

I would through in some warmer whites. The cool white is very very bright. I would also try and make sure you cover as much area as possible with light placement. A circlular tank is a little trickier.

I am curious about why you have two different FWHM rated optics. Why?

I worry about odd mixing patterns that will result in "hot spots"

I would through in some warmer whites. The cool white is very very bright. I would also try and make sure you cover as much area as possible with light placement. A circlular tank is a little trickier.

Andy, Thanks for your suggestion and as other member are suggesting so I'll consider replacing few CWs with NWs. 18x10 would give me enough coverage under my hood placement. You are right it's tricky and hard to cover every single area.

I am curious about why you have two different FWHM rated optics. Why?

I worry about odd mixing patterns that will result in "hot spots"

Chad

One of the reason was that I can't find 80 degree optics for XM-Ls, 2nd most of my corals are towards the middle of tank so I wanted to get more par in central area. If I can find 80s I'll go with them.

Be very careful with those xml's. I have 2 in my mix of whites. They are easily twice as bright as all the others. I am only running them at 700ma.

That is the main reason I am going with XM-Ls and only 12 per HS. I'll need the most par and brightness to reach down to 30", also I was planning on running them 75-80% capacity instead of 100%.