GSP Closed for a week

donnievaz

My neon GSP has been closed up for over a week now. I did some research and apparently it's not that unusual for them to do it for a couple days at a time but this seems to be dragging out. I do have a cyano problem at the moment and my Sinularia hasn't been open as much as usual but everything else looks fine including some SPS's, mushrooms, xenia, acans, and zoas. Should I try some Red Slime Remover? I was hoping I could get rid of it naturally but I don't want to lose any corals waiting for it.

(edited)

Is algae growing over them? Have a picture?

I blast my encrusting monti's with a turkey baster every couple weeks to clear out any detritus. I think they really like it...

Upon close inspection tonight it seems that algea & cyano is the likely culprit in both cases. They didn't look this bad yesterday.

DSC_0358.jpg

DSC_0359.jpg

Edited by Origami2547

Upon close inspection tonight it seems that algea & cyano is the likely culprit in both cases. They didn't look this bad yesterday.

DSC_0358.jpg

DSC_0359.jpg

Not sure why I'm having trouble posting pics. I do it on other forums all the time.

Not sure why I'm having trouble posting pics. I do it on other forums all the time.

Just use the IMG tag, not the http tag.

I've corrected it in your post.

High nitrates maybe?

Just use the IMG tag, not the http tag.

I've corrected it in your post.

High nitrates maybe?

Thanks. API tests show 0 for nitrates & phosphates (not that that means anything)

Give us all your water parameters like SG, temp, alk, pH. Have you changed anything with your tank lately like lighting or added additives or even fresh charcoal? What fish do you have in the tank?

Thanks. API tests show 0 for nitrates & phosphates (not that that means anything)

It looks like you have lots of hair algae growing. Thus, you have nitrates and phosphates. They're just being consumed by and fueling the algae growth.

Are you running carbon? High dissolved organics could also be fueling the cyano growth. Carbon can help.

It looks like you have lots of hair algae growing. Thus, you have nitrates and phosphates. They're just being consumed by and fueling the algae growth.

Are you running carbon? High dissolved organics could also be fueling the cyano growth. Carbon can help.

I'm running Chemipure Elite but it's been a couple months so I'm probably due to change it. I also figured out the biggest problem, turns out my submersible fuge light died, not sure how long it's been so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.