Skimmer Question

tjgr34

I'm running an AquaC Remora on the sump (modified 10 Gal AGA) of my 27 Gallon cube and have a couple of problems. The skimmer is connected to a Maxi-Jet 1200 pump.

First, the water in the sump only comes about halfway up the tank. This means that the water coming out of the skimmer has a long way to fall resulting in a lot of splashing and noise. Aside from the noise the falling water seems to be causing a lot of evaporative loss and TONS OF SALT CREEP. Does anybody know of a modification I can make to convert the current spill-over return flow into a pipe or tube that I can bring down to the water level in the sump?

Second, the skimmer isn't producing much skimate. Is the pump inadequate? Do I just need to clean the skimmer well?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I had similar setup with the remora nano. One thing I found on the boards were people who cut off the lip with a dremel and placed the skimmer in the sump, essentially converting it to an urchin. Never tried it it because my skimmer section of that sump was to narrow. My nano also took at least two weeks to break in - not sure how long you've had yours. Also, run a small brush down the spray nozzle outlet.

glue a thin strip of acrylic to the output, sort of like a ramp for your output down to your water level

I agree, or just cut a strip of acrylic long enough that you can just lean it on an angle between the bottom of the sump and under the lip of the Remora. The water then runs down the ramp into the water below with little splashing.

The acrylic strips seems like a good idea, but I may take it a step further. I'm hoping to get a Dremel for Christmas, which will make life much easier. I'm thinking I'll take a 1/2" or 3/4" (flow on an MJ 1200 is pretty low) PVC T piece and attach extensions with caps to create something the width of the skimmer's overflow. I'll then use my handy-dandy new cutting tool to cut a slot in the top of the extended T and create a trough to collect the water. I figure I'll use some combination of superglue and silicone to attach the trough to the skimmer, and then just extend it down to water level with another piece of PVC. Think it'll work?

The acrylic strips seems like a good idea, but I may take it a step further. I'm hoping to get a Dremel for Christmas, which will make life much easier. I'm thinking I'll take a 1/2" or 3/4" (flow on an MJ 1200 is pretty low) PVC T piece and attach extensions with caps to create something the width of the skimmer's overflow. I'll then use my handy-dandy new cutting tool to cut a slot in the top of the extended T and create a trough to collect the water. I figure I'll use some combination of superglue and silicone to attach the trough to the skimmer, and then just extend it down to water level with another piece of PVC. Think it'll work?

It may, but I think you'll be introducing some unneeded turbulence as the water travels toward the pipe that you'd be using to bring it down to the water level. That turbulence may cause unwanted bubbles to enter the sump, not to mention salt spray and salt creep up at the tee. With a ramp down toward the water's edge, I think that the laminar flow into the sump will be less likely to create bubbles and might be quieter.

It may, but I think you'll be introducing some unneeded turbulence as the water travels toward the pipe that you'd be using to bring it down to the water level. That turbulence may cause unwanted bubbles to enter the sump, not to mention salt spray and salt creep up at the tee. With a ramp down toward the water's edge, I think that the laminar flow into the sump will be less likely to create bubbles and might be quieter.

Excellent insight. I hadn't considered that. Pending my acquisition of a Dremel I plan on making an acrylic chute in the interest of preserving laminar flow. I'll throw some pictures of the "Longnose Remora" up when it's completed.

I have no protein skimmer for my 5gallon tank.. Is there any problem if i dont have it? How to maintain my tank without protein skimmer? Is there any alternative way rather than using protein skimmer?

I have no protein skimmer for my 5gallon tank.. Is there any problem if i dont have it? How to maintain my tank without protein skimmer? Is there any alternative way rather than using protein skimmer?

At 5 gallons, you can keep up with water changes to maintain water quality.

At 5 gallons, you can keep up with water changes to maintain water quality.

Agreed. While a skimmer isn't a substitute for water changes in a larger tank, it does help keep water quality up to snuff.