Culturing 'pods-thoughts?

Annap729

I really like their idea, I had always thought of it as a bucket/bottle only kinda thing. But this would fit MUCH better for my system! Thanks for posting this link. Hopefully I will have the time, and be able to set up something like this in the next month or so. We're planning some major wiring changes with my system when I get my controller in. So learn all you can, and save me the trouble! :happy:

^I actually disagree with that. Adding a refugium does add space that copepods can grow and reporduce in, at least initially; however, there are a couple of factors that make it less than ideal compared to culturing pods separately.

First, most reefers tend to try to run their systems as "clean" as possible, which, in time, reduces the available nutrients for pods to grow and thrive. So populations slowly decline, how many "older" systems have you seen that have as many pods as it did when it was just past the cycle? Few, IME.

Second, the pods that most choose to culture, tisbe or tigriopus, are harpacticoid copepods and grow best in pretty "dirty" water at a slightly depressed SG than a DT (1.018-1.020 IIRC), so a much smaller culturing vessel kept separatly can be as productive as a larger refugium.

Don't get me wrong, I advocate refugiums, I currently have two that total more gallons than my DT. But a refugium is no replacement for a purpose-built culturing vessel.

Now, all that being said, a purpose-built culturing vessel takes additional work so a refugium might be the best choice for you (it is for me, I have tried both methods). For harpacticoids, IMO, powdered flake food is the best feed and flat vessels (like black plastic paint pans) are best containers - no need for something with more volume like a 10 gallon tank or something like that, they don't swim so it is wasted culture space (same mentality for flake food vs. phytoplankton - sinky pods eat sinky food).

I agree with you chad.

but

unless you have fish that solely eat cultured pods, then it not worth the hassle. What is in your tank that needs them? I guess why do you want to culture them? most of the time people who are breeding fish will grow them.

Edited by rocko918

^lol, I guess we are in violent agreement then! I agree with you too biggrin.gif

I think pretty sure Anthony has a mandarin which is the reason behind copepod culturing questions.

Many people have gone down this path, I don't know of anyone who isn't breeding that keeps it up.

Yep the mandarin is the driving force. Plus I want a lot of biodiversity in the tank.

I love the input on the little flakes and using the black bucket. Is it ok if I actually use a 20g breeder I already have? I love that I don't need phyto. Although would zoas and acans ever benefit from that added to the tank?

• 4 weeks later...

Funny, I found that exact same site. I have been looking into culturing my own copepods for my mandarin. The price of copepods in a bottle is crazy! After my tank crashed I have been attempting to restock my tank. My wife got me a mandarin for my birthday and now I need to make sure he is well feed.

The first thing I started looking for was a way to make sure i could feed the copepods. I went ahead and have setup a, like melev's http://www.melevsreef.com/phytoplankton.html , for phytoplankton, so far so good.

I just set up the 10 gal for the copepods, with the divider, and need to purchase some copepods for starting the culture. From everything I have read so far I am going to go for a mixture of copepods species for the best results.