Ice Cap 250w MH ballast problem

m3fan8ic

One of my Ice Cap 250w MH ballast is keep shutting down itself. The symptons are it will turn on for 30 seconds or so and cuts off. I've removed the timer and directly connected to the power source but still get same the result. I've removed the bulb and reseated the bulb again and still get the same issue. Ballast is few years old and I think it's out of warranty. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

You said "one of my ... ballasts." Do you have two or more? Could you swap them out to see if the problem follows the ballast or stays with the lamps?

I'll sure run that test as soon as I get home, hopefully that will eliminate and narrow it down to either ballast or bulb

thanks

double check your connections to make sure there isn't a short. taht can cause the lights to fire on then off.

Connections to the plug? or bulb connection? I'll double check and swap out ballast this evening..

Update: So I swapped the ballast last night after I got home and that seemed to work, however one of the bulb is not as bright as the other one, meaning the bulb that is connected to the ballast that I think have issue is not as bright as the other bulb. I'll check today and see if there is any change in brightness.

Check your wiring and swap lamps now. If the wiring checks out, you've probably got a lamp that needs to be replaced. How old are the lamps?

overcurrent protection on the ballast?

sound lieke the bulb starts up, but when the arc starts, oversurrent protection turns off the bulb? let us know if it follows the bulb.

Is it running for 30sec then shutting off and restarting again for only 30 secs on it's own? Or, do you have to kill the power and then turn it back on again before it tries to fire up again? Is the bulb SE or DE? Age of the bulb?

I just replaced the bulbs week and half ago (brand new), I bought the bulbs last year on sale and kept them till I needed to replace them. I still have old bulbs which I can put back on to see if that is part of the issue. Ballast were never touched neither the cables/wire all this time unless I unplugged them to remove my hood so wiring etc being lose or mis configured are out of the questions. I should clarify that these are IC blueline ballast like below.

IceCap-175-Watt-Electronic-Metal-Halide-Ballast-1.jpg

Is it running for 30sec then shutting off and restarting again for only 30 secs on it's own? Or, do you have to kill the power and then turn it back on again before it tries to fire up again? Is the bulb SE or DE? Age of the bulb?

I have it on a timmer, so it will come on on itself stays on for roughly 20-30seconds and shuts off and it does it all on it's own. I double checked my timmer and and even took it off of the timmer and still same before I had swapped the ballasts.

I have SE bulbs

Same brand of bulbs? I had a similiar issue with a magnetic ballast not running some bulbs, but I wouldn't expect this behavior from an electronic ballast like the Icecap.

Moreover, are the new bulbs in fact labeled as 250w?

Edited by John

Good question John, I didn't pay attention to the wattage of the bulbs and assuming they are 250s. This bulb lit up fully when plugged in with working ballast and now little dim with swapped "problemed" ballast.

I'll switch back to old bulbs and see what happens when I get home this evening. I'll keep you guys posted.