Heading to Hawaii!

ReefMon

Just learned that the wife has to attend a trade show in Waikiki, and according to our deal, get to I go too!  :D   :p   :D

I't been over 18 years since I was there last, any one have any reef related must do's other that The Waikiki Aquarium and snorkeling & diving at Hanauma Bay?

Guest greatwit
thats the main stuff i did this summer when i was there. head to sandy beach if you want some huge waves. :)

hehehe-  I'm going in March on a similar deal- wife is chairing a session at a scientific conference, while I get to go play.  I personally am leaning towards spending a couple extra days on K'aui- though a close friend told me I would really like Maui.  Still trying to work out the details.

We picked up stuff from AAA, and on the web, there was a state tourism page that will send booklettes on all the islands.  I will drop a line to James W. as he was there not too long ago (see Waikiki photos in advanced aquarist), has friends there, and saw a bunch of stuff.  I will post the scoop when I hear back from him.

Unfortantly I'm only getting to go to Oahu, Ocean Rider is on the big Island.

If I had my way, I'd be skipping Oahu, and going directly to Maui, Kauai & Hawaii.  

I'm planning a couple of days at the Wakikii Aquarium, figure if I bother them long enough, maybe I'll get some frags :p

Aloha,

Check with the Waikiki Aquarium and see about the night time tour, it changes your perspective of the place you see in the day time.

If you are headed to Hanauma Bay, go early because they started limiting the numbers of folks in the park.  This policy went into effect in the late 90's and was still enforced when I was there in Sept 03.

If you are stuck in Waikiki then drop in for Dinner at Irifune on Kapahulu for great Japanese food with an Island flare and don't miss breakfasts at Egg-n-Things on Kalakaua Ave and McCully St.

Aloha.

btw:Don't leave out Molokai if you are island hopping :cool:  It is the affordable getaway and has the Molokai Express for a great "drop in here, get picked up way over there" wall dive.

Congrats Glenn! One of the perks of being a Navy contractor is business trips to Pearl Harbor. Virginia and I were there in May and are going again this April. I have a few "musts":

1. When you hit Hanauma Bay be sure to go out past the protected inland area. There are only two ways to get out there, one through what they call the "toilet bowl" (don't do this one) and one through an inlet marked by buoys in the center (this one worked out better). Not only do you get away from the crowds, but you'll see much more in the way of fish species and live corals.

2. On the North shore there are two good places to snorkel by the name of Three Tables and Shark's Cove. We took a drive around the entire island and I jumped in the water with my gear about a dozen times. Take advantage of the fact that you are using a rental car ;)

3. Please eat dinner at least once at Roy's Restaurant just outside Honolulu (actually about a mile west of HAnauma Bay). We went to many a tourist trap and then found Roy's and ended up going there three times. They've gone worldwide and this is their flagship restaurant. You won't be dissappointed. Check out their website at www.roysrestaurant.com.

Oh yeah... and bring some pliers and a bib when you go to the Waikiki Aquarium :p

Have fun...

John

johnc has Hanauma Bay right:  the good stuff is outside the tourist reef.

It is likely a bit late in the year for 3 Tables or Sharks Cove to be safe, you might want to head up past ewa beach for some interesting encounters.  K-bay hammerheads are not bad to get circulation going either ;)

Can't go wrong with Roys in Hawaii Kai either.  If you go, don't miss the seared ahi.

When you hit Hanauma Bay be sure to go out past the protected inland area. There are only two ways to get out there, one through what they call the "toilet bowl" (don't do this one) and one through an inlet marked by buoys in the center (this one worked out better). Not only do you get away from the crowds, but you'll see much more in the way of fish species and live corals.

Last time I was out there (some 18 years ago...) I was staying with a local and we were all over the outer right (on this photo left) areas where nobody was and the reef was in good shape.

d002128.jpg

I'll have to look into Ewa as the north shore can get quite a bit rough during the winter months.  

Roy's does looks fantastic, Thanks!

• 5 years later...

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and I was having hard time looking for the introduction thread, so I can introduce myself properly. Anyway, to Traveller7, that's the main stuff I did last summer when I was there. I headed to sandy beach to catch huge waves. :clap::)

Hawaii Tour Guide

(edited)

Do you have any recommendations for the big island? I went island hopping the summer before last; four days Oahu, three days Kauai, & three days Hawaii. This time though, I

Edited by Mich

talk about old thread bumps...

If you're doing the summit trail hike to Mauna Kea, it's worth it imo. Also, check for stargazing opportunities at the observatory. Careful on Saddle Rd, the locals drive like nuts and many insurance companies don't want you to drive parts of it.

If you haven't done Thurston Lava Tube, you should consider doing the hike to and through it.

South Point and the green sand beach east of it are worth a visit.

A quick hike is Akaka Falls. Boiling Pots are a neat stop.

It's been a while since we've been there, and I spent so much of that in VNP that I have trouble remembering much else. Kauai is my favorite of the islands, so we mostly go there. I'll have to dig out the old trip notes and see if there's anything else I really liked.

Thanks so much. We did Thurston Lava Tube last time. However, the people I'm going with this time have never been at all, so it's likely something I'll do again. I'll make it a priority to check out everything else you've mentioned as well. It seems like 75% of the people who go reccomend the Mauna Kea summit, what would you say are the specific pros and cons?

I think Kauai is probably my favorite island too (so far at least). However, I have a free place to stay for ten days on the Big Island, and unfurtunately, cheapness has a tendency to often be the deciding factor in determining where I go on vacation. Anyway, on the big island I'll probably get to sleep in later without the 5 am cock-a-doodle-dos which are typical of kauai.

No Maui??? Everytime I have been to the Hawaiian Islands, I have had the best time on Maui. In my opinion, I think it has the best combination of adventure, nightlife, and solitude.

I've never been to Maui, but I'd love to check it out. I had a co-worker who went recently and said it was great. As soon as I'm provided with a convenient and affordable opportunity to go; I'll be gone.

any tips for Kauai? Heading there next week for 5 days.

Check out their version of the Grand Canyon, quite impressive! Also if you are not much of a hiker, I would recommend a helicopter tour---you get to see alot of stuff in a couple of hours.

Are you staying on the South side of the island or in Princeville? I stayed in Princeville which is more like a rainforest type environment, but after visiting the south side which is sunnier, I wished we would have stayed there instead since there are also seem to be more things to do down there. Also watch out for the wild chickens which cross the road and the people who are strung out.

I'm staying at the Villas of Princeville. Supposed to be nice this time of the year up there.

Definately checking out the canyons but not sure on hiking because of my preggo wife :)

any tips for Kauai? Heading there next week for 5 days.

'The Dolphin' in Hanalei has some of the best ahi I've ever tasted, and you can order a whole steamed artichoke as an apetizer. I didn't do any diving or snorkeling while I was there, but the waves on the east coast were awesome.

Also watch out for the wild chickens which cross the road and the people who are strung out.

My Step-Brother caught one...

chick.JPG

A wild chicken that is, we steared quite clear of the strung out people.

Three tables on the north shore is a great dive but the north shore is only flat in the summer. In the winter the surf's up!

Three tables on the north shore is a great dive but the north shore is only flat in the summer. In the winter the surf's up!

But that's in Oahu, isn't it?

When in Kauai I would go check out the Napali Coast, AWESOME. Hike the Kalalau trail, dive into the Blue Room, snorkle Tunnels beach, eat some shave ice. There is some much to do on Kauai, it is a paradise!!! PK's in the south is good for surfing in the summer. Check kauaiexplorer dot com for all the stuff to do. Great place, I am going in August.

PS you can bring back fish, so get out your net and catch a HUMUHUMU!!!

When in Kauai I would go check out the Napali Coast, AWESOME. Hike the Kalalau trail, dive into the Blue Room, snorkle Tunnels beach, eat some shave ice. There is some much to do on Kauai, it is a paradise!!! PK's in the south is good for surfing in the summer. Check kauaiexplorer dot com for all the stuff to do. Great place, I am going in August.

PS you can bring back fish, so get out your net and catch a HUMUHUMU!!!

How do you bring back fish? Isn't it like a 14 hour flight? Why would we take from the ocean? Please don't take from the ocean it's been raped enough. Take lots of pictures.

Hawaii DLNR lets hobbyists bring back fish.

I don't see any moral difference between an LFS and catching them myself.