Heading to Hawaii!

ReefMon

Thanks. I'll give them a look when I get there. I plan to do some snorkeling. How is Hideaways in terms of snorkeling? I'm staying in

the villas of princeville and I hear Anni is a 20 min walk on a path.

Do you do fishing there? I hear peacock bass is stocked in those rivers. Any good salt water spots up there?

Pros of Mauna Kea: summit bragging rights, amazing views of nearly the entire island, a completely foreign version of "typical" hawaiian landscape, and the possibility of snow in the last place you'd expect it. there's also a nice side-trip to a lake near the summit. relative solitude on most days. neato astronomy buildings at the top.

Cons: you start at 9000ft and go up to 13000+ over the hike - so if you're not used to altitude, you're gonna be feeling it a lot more than you normally would. the temp swing is brutual. last time we were there, it was 85 on the beach, and snow flurries at the summit. As with most high points, the view is often obscured by clouds. Probably a day hike, but you won't do much else that day.

You can, of course, just drive up there, assuming they haven't blocked that off for some reason. Hawaii loves to do that. Not quite as adventurous, but less time consuming and views without the alitutde sickness can be a big plus.

Can't blame you for going on the cheap. Wish I had connections out there to get some cheap lodging. Don't even get me started on the chicken problem. Only on Kauai...

Thanks again this has been really helpful. I'm pretty sure now that we're going to do Mauna Kea. If per chance you run into those notes of yours, or remember anything else let me know . Like I said, I've got a whole ten days.

Thanks. I'll give them a look when I get there. I plan to do some snorkeling. How is Hideaways in terms of snorkeling? I'm staying in

the villas of princeville and I hear Anni is a 20 min walk on a path.

Do you do fishing there? I hear peacock bass is stocked in those rivers. Any good salt water spots up there?

Hideaways is GREAT snorkeling. The trail is a little iffy after a good rain, but well worth the visit. I always thought the best part was on the right side, near and around the rocky point (the beach on the other side of the point is usually more secluded as well since access is limited.

'Anini is a nice spot as well - the shallows are a nice seagrass/algae bed that turtles visit a lot. We've always seen them there, along with a fairly large puffer before even getting out to the reef. For some reason, the water always feels colder there than elsewhere. There's a really convenient current there too - walk down to the right of the boat ramp for a way and swim out, relax and let the current send you left, get out at the boat ramp and start over again.

We've never been fishing there, although I hear it is a great spot for it. I know that largemouth, smallmouth, and peacock bass are all stocked in the rivers and reservoirs. I don't have any recommendations on salt water spots, sorry.

If you don't have a guidebook, you might try the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. It seems the most accurate and realistic of the guides.

[quote name='Mich

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I haven't found my old trip notes yet, but...

Hawaii magazine has a nice article on a few things of interest on the Hilo side of Hawaii. Barnes and Noble on Rockville Pike carries it, not sure about other locations.