does anyone else have a Rainford's goby?

treesprite

I got a Rainford's goby recently, not having seen a bunch of stuff about their eating habits first. I'd like to know how they are doing in the tanks of other WAMAS members, whether or not those tanks have algae for the gobies to pick through, and other things related to feeding. Info would be appreciated.

They will eat most anything small and meaty including cyano. I never worry about feeding them as they are very good at finding their own food. Of course if your tank is very new or clean, you will have to feed it.

I give them blackworms.

Edited by paul b

The first step to a rainfords goby is making sure you didn't get one with a pinched stomach. If that was OK than if you have a decent sized sandbed with medium to small (not crushed coral) grains you should be fine. The smaller size because they will scoop up a mouth full and filter out their prey before shooting the sand out their gill openings. I don't think they are as interested in the algae as the other small critters that feed/live within the algae.

I've had two in the past and one did great for over a year without ever feeding off anything I tossed into the tank. The second did not eat very well and I suspect that it was already declining by the time I got it.