UV sterilizer recommendations?

Annap729

Hey im looking for ideas on a UV sterilizer for my tank. I'd like to answer questions like:

-where to plumb it in?

-how many watts are recommended based on my system size?

-are there any drawbacks?

-are there good DIY solutions out there?

-what are the economical retail solutions available based on the wattage I need? I assume wattage is the only criteria necessary when selecting one?

+1 on BRS...i was gonna send you to the same link. The brand they market seems to be pretty good and has accurate sizing for reef applications...or so says BRS. According to site they recommend the Emperor 40W for your setup.

Plumbing should be on the outlet of your return pump so 100% of water goes thru it.

Here is a thread from last week that may answer some of your questions.

The biggest drawback for me is the ability to measure flow thru the unit to ensure you have enough to accomplish the intended purpose. Too low and you kill beneficial critters. Too much and you are just running up your power bill. Having a dedicated pump that meets your gph requirement is key. IMHO.

Ron

get a bunch of 1 micron bags they are a better solutionto me.

How is this a better solution?

The bags would be a good choice to mechnaically filter the water and remove particulate matter. They wont have any impact on parasites or bacteria.

Please provide a little more rationale.

Ron

Edited by onux20

I have an aquauv on my system. Mine in not on the main return, but a closed loop. Using the head calculator on ReefCentral I positioned the unit on the loops' return using the calculated length to get the appropriate flow.

Edited by rioreef