Top Shot Photos

OUsnakebyte

Any pointers out there for better "top shot" photos...? I turned off all pumps/powerheads and waited for everything to settle down. The MH lights actually point out, away from the water. So, basically the two actinic VHOs are reflecting off the water surface. I guess next time I'll turn the MH completely off...

I did not use a flash, cause of the bounce back problems, and I am also using a tripod, so I can usually keep it fairly steady. I'm still seeing reflection from the inside top of the canopy. Any way around this?

Here are two examples. Got any pointers...?

Top-rightside.jpg

Top-leftside.jpg

Thanks

Mike

Much like the reflection off glass, I'd say try turning off the backlighting (in this case your VHOs) and use a flash, but go at an angle.

Those plates look GREAT!!!

Nice looking corals.

I've heard of a trick (although I've yet to try taking top-shots so I haven't actually tried; maybe you can and tell us how well/not well it works) is to put a piece of glass or acryllic material on the surface of the water, and snap the photo through that. The problem with water is that even with everything off, its not going to be a perfectly flat surface, and will distort the image, etc. Anyway, this should make it much like taking a photo through the side glass.

Yeah, I think I'll try turning all lights off and see how that goes.

In putting the piece of glass/acrylic on the surface of the water, it seems it would be difficult to hold that steady. Would I get a blurred effect...?

Thanks all.

Mike

In putting the piece of glass/acrylic on the surface of the water, it seems it would be difficult to hold that steady.  Would I get a blurred effect...?

Thanks all.

Mike

32745[/snapback]

Taking a picture through acrylic or glass is just like shooting through the front of your tank. It will not blur or distort anything, unlike the surface of the water which really will refract the image. You will have a problem getting it flush with the surface of the water, though. Maybe take a thicker sheet and glue some handles on the edges to hang on the tank rim and see where that takes you. Otherwise, get a thicker piece and hold it in the water. If you get water on top, you'll have to clean it off, but otherwise the thicker piece will give you more ability for error.

Guest chewie70

Try using a circular polarizer filter for your lens. They are usually the screw in type and are measured in mm. You need to know your lens diameter in mm.

mike you have a fuji 3100 right? i picked up macro lenses from penn camera for like $35 dollars for 3 lenses. get the ones for 55mm. they also have polarized for it too. if you get them let me know how they do, or just shows me and the rest of the gang :D

you can also pick up the lates cannon rebel digital camera that filters out up to 15000k light, my b-day is coming up soon :rolleyes:

oh yeah mike ive heard of people making a box for the camera that they can get closer to the corals with going into the water to keep the camera dry.