DIY LEDs--Read this first

Stu

It seems like a lot of WAMAS members are doing DIY LED builds, and consequently have a lot of questions about color mixing.

For anyone attempting a DIY LED build, I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend reading this thread first:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=246394

It's very long, but is extremely informative, and it was an immense help in planning my build. Several people participating in the discussion have done pretty extensive testing of different LED colors, and posted their results. Cool white, royal blue, neutral white, blue, green, red, UV, etc. are all covered. It takes a while to read through, but once you do, you will be glad you did. I consider it an excellent primer on the aesthetics of different LEDs over a reef tank.

Has anyone else checked out the above link? I skimmed through all the posts. One main thing they figured out was a 2:1 ratio of Blue to white and mixing royal blue with blue because the blue brings out colors in some coal that the royal blue does not. This is completely got me back to the drawing board for my LED set up. Thanks Stu for posting the link!

^I have read some of it, I will get through it in time.

It actually validates what I have been thinking with a RB, B, CW, NW, WW mix... I am just trying to figure out how exactly to do that.

Has anyone else checked out the above link? I skimmed through all the posts. One main thing they figured out was a 2:1 ratio of Blue to white and mixing royal blue with blue because the blue brings out colors in some coal that the royal blue does not. This is completely got me back to the drawing board for my LED set up. Thanks Stu for posting the link!

No problem; I hope it helps. Replacing just 3 RB's with blues in my array made a big difference, particularly with red corals.

17 RB

3 B

10 NW

Yea, I have 12rb and 12cw right now. I placed an order for 4 warm white, 4 neutral white, and 4 blue. I want to play around to get the best combo while maintaining 24 led's in total. I am leaning towards the following setup:

6cw

4ww

2nw

8rb

4b

Yea, I have 12rb and 12cw right now. I placed an order for 4 warm white, 4 neutral white, and 4 blue. I want to play around to get the best combo while maintaining 24 led's in total. I am leaning towards the following setup:

6cw

4ww

2nw

8rb

4b

Let me know how it goes. Unfortunately with these builds it seems playing with combinations is the only way to truly get a customized product. I just wish it wasn't so time consuming/semi-permanent!

Let me know how it goes. Unfortunately with these builds it seems playing with combinations is the only way to truly get a customized product. I just wish it wasn't so time consuming/semi-permanent!

My heatsink is drilled/tapped and I use solderless connections. Makes it a lot easier for me to play around with. Just a matter of unscrewing two small screws for each led...

My heatsink is drilled/tapped and I use solderless connections. Makes it a lot easier for me to play around with. Just a matter of unscrewing two small screws for each led...

Thats the only way I'd do it.

Sounds a little white, but I wait to here the results.

Yea, I plan on leaving the blues and royal blues at full power on one meanwell. The whites will be on a seperate meanwell and will be dimmed down until I am happy with the color... I do not need all the PAR they provide so it should be ok (I hope).

Guest thefishman65

IIRC you have 12/12 now so you can always put some of the RB you take out onto the white channel if you need more PAR.

IIRC you have 12/12 now so you can always put some of the RB you take out onto the white channel if you need more PAR.

Yup, that's what I am thinking. I will end up with extra led's when this is all said and done. I'll make a day out of it while watching football one of these weekends.

My main concern is that the colors all blend ok.

Has anyone else here used reds or warm yellows (whites)? I haven't put together my last purchase yet, but my first one had zero color pop on the red and yellow corals / fish. It looks very washed out and bland. I went with cool white and royal blues on that one, but I'm going to need to mix it up a little.

Not yet, but mine will be running soon and will include ~18% warm white.

gahhh!!!

flop, twitch, twitch, flop, twitch, twitch!!! wacko.gif

(Edit: I actually started writing a response, but then thought you were probably messing with me!!!)

Has anyone else here used reds or warm yellows (whites)? I haven't put together my last purchase yet, but my first one had zero color pop on the red and yellow corals / fish. It looks very washed out and bland. I went with cool white and royal blues on that one, but I'm going to need to mix it up a little.

I understand the desire to experiment with warm whites, but as an FYI, NW's (which are I believe ~2000k higher than WW's) are VERY yellow. Some of the guys on nano reef experimented with WW's and attempted to balance them out with RB's/B's, and the outcome was "Wonka-like" (not in a good way). I'm never one to discourage experimentation, but I don't think going much lower on the Kelvin scale than NW's will be very aesthetically pleasing.

The key to adding reds (which many people scrapped) seems to be driving them at a lower current (not sure if this is the right terminology). Essentially, running even one LED at the same intensity as the other LEDs in the array was enough to give a terrible "disco-ball" look...think red bouncing all over the sand from the shimmer. I have, however, seen a few builds where a 1W red was added (amongst 3W LEDs), and the effect worked. All this to say that I also had the problems with red/yellow color pop, and it was instantly cured by replacing a few royal blues with blues.

See this post for some other clarification on mixing whites:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=246394&view=findpost&p=3314433

Guest thefishman65

I just finished the Aesthetics thread over on nano-reef. I felt the general view was

6 NW : 10 RB : 2 CB

or about there. I got no solid opinion that anything else was needed. I have the advantage of having only XR-E so my CW are warmer than XP-Gs. I will be changing have of them to NW and 4 of 24 RB to CB.

Funny thing about leds are that the cheap chinese 18k led have a fat blue spectrum so much better then anything

that cree makes.

Maybe running your whites at full blast and using the cheap chinese ones is better then running cree white at 70 percent.

Think about it.

Just swapped some led's while watching my fantasy league tick me off...

24 leds total broken down as follows:

10rb

4b

2ww

2nw

6cw

I am happy with the change. The difference is not huge, but it is a definite improvement I believe. Used to be 12cw and 12rb.

before after pics, Mike?

I just updated my build thread. Anything before today are the before pictures... It makes it look more blue than it really is. Basically I can go from blue to crisp white with the setup I have now. Hard to take a good picture with the led's. Most are underexposed...

Also, I would say mix up the led's. I see nothing negative with what I have done.