Green Hair Algae Problems...

dmatt56

Hello Everyone,

I sold my Blue Hippo Tang about 6 weeks ago, and the green hair algae (GHA) is starting to take over my tank. I made the mistake of scraping the back wall GHA, and then it released spores all over my live rock. I purchased SERIOUS clean up crews from Reefs2Go and ReefCleaners and up'd my water changes.

What else can I do to kill the GHA? Are there any good GHA inverts (urchins, sea hairs, cucs, snails, etc.) or fish?

I'm also running a GFO reactor. I plan to reduce my lighting - what's the minimum lighting for a tank with a RTBA, softies, and monti caps?

I'm looking for any safe solution. I've heard that the Kent Marine Tech-M is good for bryopsis - but is it good for GHA too?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

The only way to eliminate any algae problems is to remove the nutrients from the water. You have to harvest the algae. If a CUC eats the algae then the nutrients are still in the system, since the organism eliminates waste, and since algae is very efficient at scavenging for nutrients, it pulls it in very fast.

I had gha and it was a pain but I pulled out every bit I could get my hands on. This physically pulls the nitrates and phosphates out of the system and the problem solves itself. Now my tank is algae free and water changes and gfo keeps the algae at bay.

Hth

Don't know if they really work but I'd give it a try. I'm having the same problem. I have only 1 watchman goby in my 75 gallon and feed very little. I can't figure out what's causing the elevation in nitrates or the growth. I'm trying to combat 2 kinds; hair algae and bryopsis. I've been able ot keep the bryopsis in check with high magnesium and a tuxedo urchin but for some reason nothing seems to be working.:wacko:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+501+1639&pcatid=1639

There are many organisms that eat GHA. But consider this -- the tank is a closed system and matter cannot be created nor destroyed. If something eats the GHA, then sure the algae is gone, but the nitrogen and phosphorous is still in the tank.

Once the nudibranch poops, the nitrogen and phosphorous is released back into the tank. The aerobic bacteria breaks down the nudibranch poop and converts the nitrogen into NH3 then NO2 and then back to NO3 and phosphorous.

Now the GHA that has not been eaten has the food to grow all over again and the problem continues.

When we weed our gardens, if we don't eliminate the roots...the weeks grow back.

In the ocean ( a big open system) it also grows and grows, thats why there are animals who eat and control it.

Yes, the cycle of food eaten and pooped back out etc is true, but if you have fish your going to feed them anyways and then there gonna poop. Why not let them eat something natural.? Yes, you should figure out why there is maybe an excess amount, but algae can grow in pretty much any system, its natuarl, Paul B has said many times about tanks that dont grow algae arent really healthy tanks.. And he has been keeping reefs for over 40 years, I think he might know a little something.

Yes, you do need some algae. IMHO the film on the glass and coralline algae is good enough. people also put in chaeto to control nutrients. But what does one do? One prunes the chaeto for nutrient export. Same idea. Pruning is cheaper than buying organisms. And when the gha problem goes away then what are those organisms going to eat?

All I can say is that I solved my red hair algae and green hair algae by pulling the stuff of rocks. It was simple and cheap. Of course in the process I made changes to my feeding amount and added gfo and increased water changes.

I have cheato in my refugium. I FINALLY swapped our my RODI cartridges a couple months ago. I wonder if that could have helped with the buildup. I plan to change my GFO tomorrow.

I had a terrible problem with it. Pulling it out seemed to make it grow back faster. An electric toothbrush is awesome for doing this. However, I turned off the lights in my tank for 2 or 3 days, can't remember, and most of it died. I also changed my feeding habits but no photosynthesis really did the ob. Corals, mixed reef, didn't seem to have minded very much.