Name this coral please

Larry Grenier

that looks like an nps scleronepthya or dendronepthya... definitely one of the carnation corals.

Very difficult species to keep in home aquaria, has no lighting requirements since it's non-photosynthetic. You need to have good constant current passing by it and also a lot of food in the water for it. I tried one in my overflow and it did well for awhile until it broke off, a sign that despite appearances it wasn't doing as well as I thought. I don't know of anyone who has kept them long term with any degree of success (I'm talking a couple of years, not just a few months). It is possible, but very difficult to maintain - think anthias that are extremely hungry and need to feed on microscopic food sources constantly... beautiful, but difficult at best.

Regarding captive care, I have heard of a few folks keeping some of the scleronepthya (not dendronepthya) species using constant feeding techniques, HUGE skimmers and large very frequent water changes. Definitely a piece for a purpose built nps tank but not most reefer's tanks.

I agree, very hard to keep. Amanda kept one for a handful of months or so (from what I remember may be longer I dunno) but eventually it didn't make it. Awesome looking when they are healty though!

Definitely a Dendro, and as others have alluded, best left in the ocean unless you are going to run a dedicated non-photosynthetic tank. And, really even then they are extremely difficult to keep long term.

Cheers

Mike

ive had the sclero get so big they dropped babies in my LPS/softy tank.... that was a year ago, and i still find babies, under the eggcrate.

I ALSO FEED THE SYSTEM ALOT OF FATTY ACIDS!!! its very important to supplement feed if there is not enough naturally occurring plankton. I even like to saturation feed the tank with filter socks afterwards. I put like a whole packet of cyclopeeze in there through the intake of the return pump, run it for two hours and then put the socks on. if you have pods, they will love this and flourish. in turn this creates a stable flow of microfauna larvae that can serve as coral food.

another thing to do to save some money on feeding is to thaw PE mysis, stir in some tank water, strain over COARSE net. feed the shrimp to your fish and save the "juice" in the fridge til night time and throw it in. Any corals with smal polyps(NPS,SPS) will go crazy over the fatty acids and the subsequent bacterio-plankton.... your LPS will love the fragmented shrimp pieces just floating into their bigger polyps.