Silicone for tanks

In the past I've used Marinland or AGA silicone because I've had access at whole sale prices, now I find my self wanting to use the stuff from HD and lowes.

In the past I've been told as long as it says %100 silicone and does not mention mold reducing agents...

I was looking at GE Silicone I and II wich both boast 100% silicone but silicone II cures in 3 hours vs 12 for I.

270000_564381774338_209700230_31964267_7581542_n.jpg

They both clearly state NOT FOR AQUARIUMS but if I recall its just because they don't want to be held responsible for tank leaks.

I got to thinking though silicone II having the faster cure rate must have some sort of additive... when the tubes are flipped over the back of II says NOT FDA approved, and I says it is... I went with the silicone I.

263435_564390047758_209700230_31964424_94033_n.jpg

You need that much silicone? I always use the stuff from the adhesives section of the hardware store, says household silicone and is a green container. It says on it that it can be used for aquariums.

Number 1 is the one to use. Read carefully, number 2 says something about mold inhibitors or something.

I have used the Silicone I before with success. everyone says silicon II is bad as the mold inhibitors leach anti-fungal agents into your aquarium. If you go over to where the acryllic sheets are in home depot, you can find the original "100% Silicone". That's where it is in the HD in Sterling, at least.

fwiw: and iirc: I read somewhere that GE has a contract to provide "aquarium silicon" to a company and part of that contract states they are not allowed to say their other silicon products are ok for aquariums.