Skimmers

Guest Siders

Guest Siders

Hi, I am in desperate need of a skimmer and need some advice on buying one. I have almost zero clue on what to look at and would like some suggestions on where to buy them as well. Preferably under $200. I have 60 gallons total including my sump. Thanks

Guest alex wlazlak

i have a cylcone 100 and other people say that its very good for the price of it, around $100 or less, depends where ya go. but mine spits out way to many bubbles in to my tank, and i dont have a sump, but with a sump it should be pretty good..

Guest Yomeister66
Hi, I am in desperate need of a skimmer and need some advice on buying one. I have almost zero clue on what to look at and would like some suggestions on where to buy them as well. Preferably under $200. I have 60 gallons total including my sump. Thanks

31448[/snapback]

My first skimmer was an AquaC EV-180 and I was very happy with it. Easy to install and it worked really well. (Just had to make sure to turn it off and clean it when using any kind of medication). The EV-180 is too big for a 60-gallon but they make an AquaC Urchin which is like $170.00 at the Marine Depot and is rated for up to 75 gallons

Other issues may help you narrow your search. If you are constrained by room in your stand or foorprint in your sump brand x doesn't have one short/small enough, you can eliminate that brand from your search.

You may find that buying used can save you a lot of money, if you can wait for someone to sell one. Lots of people upgrade to larger tanks and find they have to get new equipment to support it. Just add shipping into your calculation.

Jon

you can try the easy as pie skimmer that is posted on reef central here I will post what i did later with the one i made. it works fabulous!!

but as my tank experience matures i will try many other skinners. downdraft, tunze and so-on. cause im a geek :P

Guest Siders

Sweet man. I get my license in 11 days so maybe I can come check it out some time. Sounds interesting. That AquaC Urchin sounds good I'll check it out. Thanks guys.