cutting rocks

Does anyone have a tile saw with a large diameter blade I could possibly borrow to cut rocks? It makes aquascaping quite a bit easier.... :tongue:

cutting LR is like cutting through a soap bar, so unless you have to have a perfect flat edge, I'd just use a wide putty blade and a hammer and chisel them apart. The rocks break apart very easy. You might also be able to use a hack saw, maybe even a regular wood saw.

Tried cutting rocks already, aside from a handful even with a saw zaw and a masonry blade most were very difficult to impossible to cut though due to inability to hold rocks still and friction on blade.

Unfortunately the best thing I have heard to cut rocks with would be a band saw, and not many of us have those...however I have used a saws-all many times for other things. It may be a challenge to keep it still, but if you keep it at full power BEFORE you make contact you can avoid the initial jarring. Ive been on both ends of the holding/cutting with a saws-all. Just hit it full tilt and metal/rock will fall apart for ya! Of course eye protection all the way. There's always that one piece of dust that's gonna get you right in the eye...if your not careful.

Just get out the cross-cut hand saw!!! That is what I use to cut live rock, nice flat areas for stability.

A cross cut saw seems like it would ruine the blad, a band saw would be a good way to go but more difficulty to transport.

Hand held cross-cut saws are cheap. I use a craftsman, blade gets trashed, but will still cut through live rock.