Basement sump

beatle

I have done this and have a full basement setup. Go with a reeflo pump. Make sure your sump can handle every drop of water when power goes out.

I have done this and have a full basement setup. Go with a reeflo pump. Make sure your sump can handle every drop of water when power goes out.

If you are concerned about your sump overflowing couldn't you put a bulkhead at the top with a pipe to an "empty" container. For instance, if you sump is on a stand you could put a 30gal brute next to it just in case? This would be like a backup for the backup. Of course this is only if space is no issue. I have never done this, and it may not be a good idea. Seems like it would work well though, and give you peace of mind.

I've seen people do this for water changes as well. Just "overflow" the sump with new water and the remainder goes out the drain.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to bring this up to the top.

There is an empty wall in my formal living that is crying out for a tank and my lovely wife has graciously consented ;)

Here are my initial thoughts:

300 gallon display (Marineland DD)

70 gallon display (another marineland tank)

Both will feed a 70 gallon sump (total capacity, will run about 15 gallons) as well as a fuge (haven't figured out what yet, thinking about 60 gallons).

The question is about which return pump would be best for this application. The return from the sump area will have about 10 feet vertical head to the 70 cube and about 10 feet vertical + 40 feet horizontal head to the 300. I want about 300-400 GPH to the 70 and about 1200 GPH to the 300. I'd also like to T off the return to feed a nitrate pellet reactor. I'm going to build a stand for the sump to reduce the head for the pump and also to reduce conductive heating loss from the concrete.

Per the Reef Central head calculator, I'll have about 15 ft of head. I was thinking of using the Reeflo Uno Marlin, which should supply about 1800 gph at that application. Any other suggestions in terms of pump?

Also, how would you plumb in the refugium? My thought was to put the fuge on a taller shelf and have it fed from the return and then drain into the main sump.

One of my concerns is whether this will be enough volume to handle a power outage. I figure 45 gallons or so should be plenty but I'm not sure.

At the moment, my basement is completely open. I'm going to price out how much it would be to partition off a 8 x 6 section and pull dedicated electric and a sink to the room, as well as getting a floor drain put in. We're not planning on finishing the basement for 3-4 years though and I was wondering if there would be a downside to waiting on building the room. If we finish off the room, I've got a humidifier set aside for the room. I imagine I wouldn't need it if I kept that space open.

This is still in the preliminary stages but figured I'd get some feedback early on.