How do you stop fish from fighting?

B216adkins

I have two fish that always fight and one fish is scared he stay in one corner throughout the day.

Get a bigger tank or stock fish that dont have such aggresive habits.. Always good to plan ahead when purchasing fish.. The smaller the environment, the more likely you will have that problem. What kind of fish are fighting and in what size tank.?

Get a bigger tank or stock fish that dont have such aggresive habits.. Always good to plan ahead when purchasing fish.. The smaller the environment, the more likely you will have that problem. What kind of fish are fighting and in what size tank.?

damsel fish and a true clownfish in a 12 gallon

Damsels are nasty even in larger systems.. Do yourself a favor and get rid of the damsel, or it will get rid of your clown for you. Again, thats why you should research before adding fish. Ive never read anything that didnt warn you about damsels aggressiveness.. 12 gallons is way to small for aggressive fish, unless its the only fish.

You should trade the damsel for something like a fire fish or clown goby. Both fire fish and clown goby's are around $10-$15.

+1, good choices..

Damsels are nasty even in larger systems.. Do yourself a favor and get rid of the damsel, or it will get rid of your clown for you. Again, thats why you should research before adding fish. Ive never read anything that didnt warn you about damsels aggressiveness.. 12 gallons is way to small for aggressive fish, unless its the only fish.

I'm actually having the opposite issue. The two tomato clowns I have especially the bigger one is the bully of my 120g mixed tank. Anything comes near the RBTA she is in he goes after it. This includes coral frags and clams.

I had to pluck her in the head to keep her from nipping my hand when I was trying to cleaning the glass that was about 8 inches away from the RBTA..

The two damsels are not picking on anyone.

Damsels and clowns are in the same family. And I think clowns are mean fish, and tomato clowns might be one of the worst. I had a pair a few years back and they would bite me everytime I put my hand in the tank. Again, most good resources warn that they can be territorial.. And you have a 120g tank compared to a 12g. Your damsel has space and other fish have places to retreat to as well.. In the 12g someone is constantly cornered..

I'm actually having the opposite issue. The two tomato clowns I have especially the bigger one is the bully of my 120g mixed tank. Anything comes near the RBTA she is in he goes after it. This includes coral frags and clams.

I had to pluck her in the head to keep her from nipping my hand when I was trying to cleaning the glass that was about 8 inches away from the RBTA..

The two damsels are not picking on anyone.

Tomato clowns are by far the most aggressive of all the clown fish. All clowns will be protective of the anemone but tomatoes are definitely the worst.

All damsels are different. I have a damsel that is a model citizen. However, most damsels are extremely aggressive and seem to have no fear. dcreefer had to tear apart his 300 to get a damsel out that was picking on fish much larger and faster.

You have to get rid of the damsel or the damsel will kill the clown.

+1, First task when I get to my tank is to try to capture two damels in a 120. I thought they would have enough space and be mellow....WRONG!

Catch it and trade it. A clown gobie would be nice in a tank that size.

RT

+1, First task when I get to my tank is to try to capture two damels in a 120. I thought they would have enough space and be mellow....WRONG!

Catch it and trade it. A clown gobie would be nice in a tank that size.

RT

Stay away from the clown gobies if you have SPS. They like to nest in the branches and stress them to no end.

+1 on getting rid of the damsel. I too have had to break down a large tank to get that one lil' b**tard out of there. $7 fish=7 hours of work getting rid of it.

Call Chuck Norris, he'll settle 'em down with a swift round house kick to the head!

but seriously, I'd get rid of both of them and make it a goby tank and maybe some spiny head blennys with a some tiny inverts like porcelin crabs, teddy bear crab, & sexy shrimp.

Ok is there any body that wants to trade the fish?

Damsels need a lot of space. I can imagine keeping an ocellaris in a 12g tank, but it's too small for a damsel (IMO).

dcreefer had to tear apart his 300 to get a damsel out that was picking on fish much larger and faster.

Brian is correct! I pulled out roughly 350lbs of rock to remove one "Devil" damsel fish! I still have a few damsels (2) 3 striped and (2) 3 spot... but the other fish keep them in check.

The 3 striped damsels actually growl at the glass if you sit too close to there territory!!!

Do yourself a favor and give that damsel to someone who is cycling a tank...(harsh I know but, the other option is sticking it in the freezer!)