Agressive Reef

Guest clownfish4

Guest clownfish4

Well, I have lost all but six fish in the past week and have decided to rethink my future plans. I am seriously considering keeping my reef but taking out some rock and throwing in a trigger, puffer, my two tangs and foxface, and maybe a few other agressive fish. I understand that they create A LOT of waste, but I have great faith in my super Euroreef. I also got a 58g tank from Howard that I made a frag tank sharing the same sump and plan to throw a few small reef fish in there. Any thoughts? Supportive or unsupportive? Anyone else have an agressive tank?

Will someone taller than me please pull the chain.

If your loosing fish, why add more? Find out why and fix that first.

Your a good aquarist.

The trigger can make short work of any desent corals you have and if it doesn't, the foxface just might.

Guest clownfish4

Chip, I already have the foxface and he doesn't touch a thing. I cannot for the life of my figure out what's wrong, so I am thinking about throwing away all my water and recycling the tank. Another option I was thinking about was making the 58g a small reef and the 125g FOWLR.

OK, but FOWLR usually has a higher nutrient level than a reef with fish.

Especially if you use big aggressive fish. You might then become frustrated with your reef connected and then we loose you totally.

Lets review your system after MD before you do any rash.

In the meantime, exchange 20% of your water with clean sea water.

Chip

Guest clownfish4

Chip, I have already changed 50g of water and am running carbon and phosban. My levels are fine and I am extremely confused.

Guest goblinshark

Dont add fish so quickly, maybe some are dying form shock or getting harassed...slow down and breath, think wait atleast 2-3weeks between adding fish, quarentine em for a week or two, so if they die in a QT ull know its not ur tank water

Mike,

First of all, that tank is 50 gal.

Second, Come here, I'm going to slap you one! :o

Was TRT able to find anything out? You did go right?

Second, PATIENCE SIR! You been doing loops in that plane lately?

THIRD, ok, you got me stumped, I heard the story, this calls for a VET to come in and do some CSI!

Any "Vets" volunteers can go over and smack... I mean look at Mike's System?

Howard

Guest clownfish4

Howard, I did go to TRT and told them about the entire situation, it wasn't Mike or Grim though, and the guy was stumped. I am going to bring Mike a sample of my water and see if he can tell me anything tomorrow or this weekend. But I am getting really fed up and don't like seeing two-hundred dollars worth of fish die inside of three or so days for no reason.....

Mike,

I want to come over and use my CSI skills. Seriously, I am full this weekend but can come over early next week. Give me a ring and we can set something up. I know it is frustrating. Been there done that as they say. The key to this hob is patience. It takes a couple of killing fish to find this out. Leave the system alone for a week or two and I bet things stable out and correct it on its own. Live things usually do this, they get upset when one fiddles with something too much, all it needs is some time to get in a routine. Anyways call me! ;)

Guest clownfish4

I'll take you up on that Sam. Although I am still kind of set on the aggressive reef. I have always been fascinated with triggers and puffers and now that I can I plan to.

Guest clownfish4

Okay, everyone at TRT is clueless. Apparently these things just happen and now I am riding it out hoping the last six survive. So back to my original target, anyone here have an aggressive reef tank or aggressive fish only tank? My plan is to add a Blue Dot Puffer, http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=232, and a small trigger to the 50g frag tank and restock my 125g with lots of pretty small fish.

Take it easy.

"These things just happen." is their way of saying the same thing we have all been saying: "I dunno what is wrong with your tank." only they are trying to say it without looking dumb.

If you want an agressive tank, I'll back ya up, just don't over react and move too quick.

Guest clownfish4

Grav, I don't plan to do this tomorrow! I am going to wait a couple weeks and see what happens with everything I have, doing a couple water changes along the way. I am just looking into some options for when I get everything sorted out.