What the what?!!! Help!!!

Reefoholic

what was the photo period when the new lights were added? did you make any change from when you had the T5's before? I dont know much about MH, have never owned any, but I do know some require a piece of glass sheilding for UV radiation. I know some of bulbs have the shieldiung built in, but others dont, if I recall correctly its the double ended bulbs that commonly dont have the shielding? Im sure someone else knows alot more about this then me, just throwing it out there as I havent heard it mentioned yet.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so it seems my reply didn't post?

Well, the cliff notes are:

You've got good equipment, but you are also trying to keep a tang and SPS in a small tank that is only weeks old. That is the issue IMHO. Your tank just doesn't have the biological balance and maturity to do that.

I seriously doubt it is the light unless it got the tank too hot and killed something which in turn set off the water.

At this point, water changes and carbon are the way to go. If you start seeing elevated nitrites or ammonia, something like seachem stability or microbacter 7 may help.

When the tank settles down and you've dealt with the losses, let it mature and restock it slowly. You have a good setup that can be a nice tank if you don't rush it and let it do its thing.

Edited by hypertech

The thing that threw me off was the montipora. I had it forever, it is not a new addition to the tank, neither most of the things. I only added 3 SPS frags and one little patch of zoos. Pretty much all the rest came from my other tank. Is it possible that the MH fried the corals? The water temperature is reg. at 78F always.

OK, so it seems my reply didn't post?

Well, the cliff notes are:

You've got good equipment, but you are also trying to keep a tang and SPS in a small tank that is only weeks old. That is the issue IMHO. Your tank just doesn't have the biological balance and maturity to do that.

I seriously doubt it is the light unless it got the tank too hot and killed something which in turn set off the water.

At this point, water changes and carbon are the way to go. If you start seeing elevated nitrites or ammonia, something like seachem stability or microbacter 7 may help.

When the tank settles down and you've dealt with the losses, let it mature and restock it slowly. You have a good setup that can be a nice tank if you don't rush it and let it do its thing.

How safe is it to make a big water change and try to start all over with the SUMP and the T5's again? What do you think?

The thing that threw me off was the montipora. I had it forever, it is not a new addition to the tank, neither most of the things. I only added 3 SPS frags and one little patch of zoos. Pretty much all the rest came from my other tank.

I'm confused is this a new tank or not? If it is a new setup then it doesn't matter where the corals came form or how long you have had them. The tank may still not be established enough to support what you have added to it quickly.

Is it possible that the MH fried the corals? The water temperature is reg. at 78F always.

Yes, it is possible and if you look at the orange monti the only tissue that is left is what is on the vertical or shaded areas. That points to a lighting issue but I think it was a combo of new tank, new lights, and adding additives.

I currently have the Coralife Hang-on the tank fixture with a Radius 150W 20K bulb.

Does this fixture have a glass shield over the lamp for UV protection? Some pictures of the whole setup including the light would help.

You've just got to calm down and stop changing so much so fast.

Calming down now. It hurts bad to see my beautiful monti whither away in half a day. On the hindsight, the mh was only on for 4 hours yesterday, and less than 4 hours today. I still can't find a reason why the parts of monti in shade wouldn't bleach tho. I took the other corals to the refigium I just crated. The polyps are surprisingly extending.

(edited)

Does this fixture have a glass shield over the lamp for UV protection? Some pictures of the whole setup including the light would help.

Yes, the light fixture has a glass shield over the bulb. I really appreciate your help guys! I owe you each a beer!!!

Edited by Reefoholic

I do not add anything but calcium to my tank and I add it in very tiny quantities. For example, I added 2ml last night before I went to sleep to bring the calcium up from 380ppm.

Just so you know, the Liquid Reef you are adding is not just calcium but it also contains buffers, magnesium, strontium, and potassium.

Just so you know, the Liquid Reef you are adding is not just calcium but it also contains buffers, magnesium, strontium, and potassium.

I only added a 2 ml doze. What the what!!! What steps should I take now? I have taken some coral out already. Should I break off the Monti and Roscoe?

Going to sleep! Operation Fish and Coral rescue is over. I have done a 25% water change and put the T5s back on. As of now, everybody seems to be swimming away happily. I also changed the rock work a little bit too. I placed the corals with remaining polyps up. Some of them are completely white on one side, that is the side that was facing upwards previously.

I am going to wait for my HOB to arrive to setup the SUMP. I am not sure what percentage I could save, but hopefully the corals will recover nicely.

Here are some pics of the tank as of now:

5648306793_52dedc78d3_b.jpg

BTW, I took some pics of the MH light fixture with the bulb. It does have a glass cover over the bulb but I am not sure if it is UV protective. I thought that the soft corals might have gotten sun burnt if it was the UV rays but I never anticipated that my beautiful monti and Roscoe's would end up in the gutter like this. It is very sad indeed!!!

5648871258_a8e4f1bbb9.jpg

5648871176_0a97fe41d7_b.jpg

Again the bulb is a Radium MH 150 W 20K blue. I wish nothing had turned out the way it did. I believe it is true that one learns greatly from their mistakes in this hobby. I am still not sure what went horribly wrong.

I appreciate everyone's quick replies and help!!! Please let me know what you think might have gone wrong. I would like to use the MH again if possible since it enabled the best light spectrum and colors in the corals.

Thanks again!!!

Morning!

So the MH fixture is fine to use? what could have caused the bleaching then?

Update:

Another SPS turned completely white. I hope others won't follow. The rock anemone seems to be doing fine, so as the Montipora Spongodes. ORA Green Birdsnest seems to have been hit hard. Only one side of it has skin tissue and polyps. The other side has gone white. I hope it will make it. The mushrooms and the ricordeas are not fully opened, neither the zoo polyps.

Pictures to follow!

Morning!

So the MH fixture is fine to use? what could have caused the bleaching then?

The intensity of the new light was too strong compared to your older light. When adding lights or replacing bulbs you always have to remember to lower the photoperiod so as not to burn the corals. Yo shold borrow a PAR meter and measure the difference between your two lights. I think you fill see a big difference.

My feeling is that that was one part of the issue. In the last week or so, I think you have changed lighting twice, flow, filtration, had a bacteria bloom and a diatom bloom. That is a lot for a small tank to take.

Edited by hypertech

My feeling is that that was one part of the issue. In the last week or so, I think you have changed lighting twice, flow, filtration, had a bacteria bloom and a diatom bloom. That is a lot for a small tank to take.

I used the t5s to acclimate the inhabitants for a the MH. And I removed the canister filter since it was nothing but a refuge for the algae. You are right tho, that was a lot of changes in 3 weeks. The tank also went thru diatom and algae bloom as well. I thought that it would be ok to gradually upgrade in a couple of weeks since I migrated stuff from my established tank, which was the DUMBEST thing ever to do. Now I know.

My question now is should I put the MH back on and acclimate the tank slowly (couple hours every day) or just leave the T5s on? Since I almost murdered everything in it. I might need a new cycle maybe?

You didn't murder anything. Even the best cared for reefs have losses. Learn and move on.

Right now, I would just do the water changes and otherwise let it be for a few weeks. Slowly switch over the the MH. Then, a few weeks later, if all is still good, think about adding at that time.

And, I know you have had that tang for a while, but I would sell it. The food and the poop it makes is hard on your small tank.

(edited)

You didn't murder anything. Even the best cared for reefs have losses. Learn and move on.

Right now, I would just do the water changes and otherwise let it be for a few weeks. Slowly switch over the the MH. Then, a few weeks later, if all is still good, think about adding at that time.

And, I know you have had that tang for a while, but I would sell it. The food and the poop it makes is hard on your small tank.

Sounds good to me. I am moving on it is just devastating. Also, being as inexperienced as I am, losing corals felt bad. Thanks everyone for their help and advice. You guys ROCK!!!

Edited by Reefoholic

Thanks to everyone who provided guidance, advice and help! Looks like the crisis is over! I gave the tank to a friend with an established tank and only have the Clown Fishy now which turned about to be the strongest of all!

I am going to continue posting on my other thread from now on! Please provide feedback, give advice or just watch my process building a tank @ Reefoholic's 20 Gal.

I cannot express my deep gratitude for everyone who provided their knowledge and expertise, or in other words $0.02, along my tank crash!

Thanks again!

You guys ROCK!!!

You have a double ended MH bulb. The glass tube over the MH is not UV shielded. You need a glass plate over the double ended bulb to provide UV shielding. You can go blind if you stare into the bulb without UV protection. On the contrary, the glass on mogul type bulbs are UV shielded and don't require a glass plate. I couldn't tell from your picture if there was a glass plate over the DE bulb or not.