What brand test kits do you use?

BowieReefer84

What brands do you use? What brands are best for specific tests? I'll start with what I use (trying to upgrade if needed).

Alk - Salifert

Nitrate - Salifert

Magnesium - Salifert

Calcium - API

Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, Phosphate - API

PH - ELOS

I am looking to get a better low range phosphate test kit. Also, I am thinking about investing in some hanna checkers?

What test kits are best? I rarely check phosphate like I should, and am most concerned with what it may be.

Edited by BowieReefer84

Alk, Nitrates, PH, Nitrite, Ammonia - API

Calcium and Mag - ELOS

I've gotten to the point where testing is more for general areas and not pinpoint accuracy. For pinpoint accuracy, I believe there's a testing site that you have to send in a water sample and they'll give you in depth numbers to a lot more tests.

Alk - Hanna checker

Calcium - Mostly API; sometimes cross check with Salifert

Phophate - I use Hanna's ULR (ultra low range) phosphorus checker, rather than their phosphate checker

Magnesium - Seachem

Phophate - I use Hanna's ULR (ultra low range) phosphorus checker, rather than their phosphate checker

Whats the math equation to get phosphate from the phosphorus reading that the checker provides? I could not find it.

Whats the math equation to get phosphate from the phosphorus reading that the checker provides? I could not find it.

0.003 ppm PO4 per ppb P. The ULR P checker reads out in PPB. So multiply the ULR phosphorus reading by 0.003 and that's your Phosphate reading in PPM.

0.003 ppm PO4 per ppb P. The ULR P checker reads out in PPB. So multiply the ULR phosphorus reading by 0.003 and that's your Phosphate reading in PPM.

Thank you. That is easy enough.

Thank you. That is easy enough.

You're welcome.

Keep in mind that, nominally, we'd like to keep phosphate (PO4) below 0.03 ppm. That corresponds to a reading of 10 on the Hanna ULR Phosphorus checker. (According to RHF's article, "Reef Aquarium Water Paramters," typical natural salt water Phosphate is around 0.005 ppm - a reading of 2 on the ULR P Checker.) The max range on the ULR P checker, I believe, is 200 ppb, or 0.6 ppm.

The number that I gave you above is simplified. The actual number is 95 / 31,000 = 0.003065, so there's a little bit of inaccuracy in the simplification. Here's how you arrive at the figure (for anybody who's interested):

The atomic weight of Phosphorus (P) is 31. The weight of Phosphate (PO4) is about 95. The ratio, then, of the weight of Phosphate to Phosphorus is 95/31. You could use this number as a multiplier with your ULR P Checker and get your Phosphate reading in ppb (parts per billion). But, we typically state these levels in PPM. Therefore, we divide this number by 1,000, arriving at the ratio 95 / 31,000 to convert the ULR P Checker's ppb reading to ppm Phosphate. Simplified, that's 0.003 ppm PO4 / ppb P.

I used to use LaMotte test kits because they were refillable and highly accurate, but over time I have switched exclusively to using Salifert. They are still highly accurate, but the best thing about them is that they are quick to use and memorize. I thought about getting a Hanna Checker for P04, but since I test for P04 so infrequently, Salifert wins out here too. Ph is best handled by a Pinpoint meter.

I used to use LaMotte test kits because they were refillable and highly accurate, but over time I have switched exclusively to using Salifert. They are still highly accurate, but the best thing about them is that they are quick to use and memorize. I thought about getting a Hanna Checker for P04, but since I test for P04 so infrequently, Salifert wins out here too. Ph is best handled by a Pinpoint meter.

Yea, I started with API tests, and have moved towards salifert one by one. I really like the salifert nitrate test, and how you are able to view thru it two different ways to get the low range reading.

However, it seems that the hanna checker is highly accurate at the levels we are testing for phosphate. How is the salifert P04?

I have never had any issues with PH. I always test right around 8.1 The elos kit is quick and easy as well. The color chart is also easy to follow.

Rob, since you check Phosphate so infrequently, one thing that's worth considering is shelf life. The shelf life of most test kits is 1 year or less. On the other hand, the hermetically sealed reagents of the Hanna Checkers have a shelf life of 3 years. A checker runs around $50, and comes with 6 reagent packets for 6 tests. Additional reagents cost $9 for 25 packets. Depending upon how many tests you do, over time, you may find the Phosphate checker both more accurate and more economical than the $20 to $30 Salifert kits.

If you do LOTS of testing of phosphorus, as long as it's accurate, the 60-test capacity of a Salifert phosphate kit bring the price per test down to about $0.50. That's not bad, but most of us throw away expired test kits after having used them very few times. Thus, the price per test becomes very high.

I really like the Lamotte tests. Currently I have the Ca and Alk.One thing I will really like in the sturdy cases they come in and instead of using a little spoon for powder they have tablets. Just seem that would make it more consistent. The only negative would be the Ca color change went from purple to blue is hard to see. What I have done to is put a led flash light by the vial will mixing and the color change show perfect. Also like the Elos Mag kit.