How to catch a firefish?

encideought

So, my firefish finally decided to jump into the back chamber in my aquapod-24. Any ideas on how to get it out of there? The chamber(s) are pretty much full of live rock and various pumps. I'd prefer not to take everything out, but is that the only way? To be honest I'm not sure I could catch it even if I take everything out, it's just so fast and there's not a lot of room to work back there. Any easy homemade fish trap ideas that are small enough to fit back there? The space is about 4" at it's widest part, more like 2" and the most narrow.

I've tried leaving a net in there for a couple days and baiting the net, but I failed to catch the fish the other day and I haven't seen it pop back up...

Thanks!

Nick

Nick,

I'm not familiar with how the Aquapod is arranged, but can you mostly drain the chamber the fish is in? It's much easier to catch a fish in shallow water.

Good luck!

Jon

Have you tried to just corner it and grab it? That used to work best for me back when I had a bio cube. Also, it may get spooked and jump again when you go after it, so be prepared to pick it up off the floor or let it jump back into the main tank on its own.

Get the largest net you can that will fill the space, then bend it at the end of the net/handle to form a 90 degree angle. This way you can place it at the bottom of the space and then wait for the fish to swim above it and pull out.

Awesome, thanks for the ideas guys. I'll try taking everything out AND doing a big-ish water change to get the water as low as possible before trying to bend a big net :biggrin:

Thanks!

Yeah i can tell you from experience fishing clownfish out of the back chamber of a aquapod 12 is not fun at all!

Jayson

So, first I took off the HOB skimmer, than I took out all the LR I've shoved into the rear-chamber (probably 4-5lbs). Then I took out my return pump, and lastly the circulation pump...there's kind of a lot of stuff back there. After that there was no place for the firefish to hide. It ended up moving to one corner, and I just put the net in on the opposite side of that chamber, and slowly moved it from the bottom up. I think the fish realized there was no place to go and it didn't really try to jet away too fast.

So, lots of "prep time" but not much actual catching time.

Try the food in the net trick, it worked great for catching my six-line. All you do is leave the net in the tank for a few days so the fish gets used to it. Then after not feeding for those couple days, put some food in the net. Do that for a day or two so the fish is used to eating in the net. Eventually you can grab the net, put food in it, and the fish should swim right in. It took a little patience, but I really don't think I could have gotten it any other way.