Snail ID

FearTheTerps

I had snails spawn in my tank again, it happend about a year ago cant remember when exactly. Ive had several different types in my tank before but Im not sure what these are. I've had nassarius, margarita, mexican turbos, and ceriths in this tank. Not much went into this tank from outside sources, but its possible something hitchhiked in. My ID was leaning towards cerith, but they are very small, about 1/5 the size of "adult" size that Ive seen. The first generation is now about 1/4 inch long from the tip of the shell the the body of the snail. The new babies are about the size of course kosher salt grains, but there are also teeny tiny ones on the glass now as well, the size of a period point. Im not sure of the ID because of the size. The tank they were in before they spawned again was just a holding tank, so there wasnt much algae, and I was feeding very little. However there were about 80-100 in this tank, maybe that explains the stunted growth?

My second guess would be nassarius, as the body shape looks more like them, but I dont see the siphon tube on any of my snails at all. Plus they spend most of their time on the glass and LR, not in the sand.

Anyone have a better ID then I do? It doesnt really matter, Im just curious. I was actually going to buy a new clean up crew but now I have a couple hundred new snails, they are literally covering everything, and they have plenty of stuff to eat in the new tank.

DSC09111.jpg

DSC09116.jpg

DSC09124.jpg

DSC09127.jpg

The new babies I mentioned, There are several hundred of them covering the glass. They are not eggs, most of them are slowly moving about on the glass. They are alsmost all white and bell shaped, the larger ones are showing dark centers which I assume is the shell starting to form.

DSC09109.jpg

I counted at least 150 of the kosher salt size babies. That were just out in the open and what I could see with the glass being so dirty. I dont want to clean the glass because of all the tiny babies. The tank doesnt look pretty at this point, I cant see my hair algae waving in the current :biggrin: