Suggestions for a new tank?

xeon

Well I'm not sure if they fell in love with my tank or what... but some friends ours want to start a FOWLR and admit to wanting corals. One could equate that (or son of a gunize) it to the first step in AA/NA. Some signifigant others probably want us in some sort of 12-step program... but let me jump back on track.

So they came over the other night after stopping at Petco and picking up Aquariums for Dummies and another book. Neither book would I recommend after flipping through them. I did recommend Bob Fenner's book along with Eric Borneman's on corals.

I spent at least two hours talking about the ins-n-outs of biological filtration, cycling, tank choices, equipment, costs, livestock issues, coral care and the list went on. I think they jointly appreciated the fact that I was pretty thorough, but at the same time I think I may have gone overboard. LOL

So I open the following question; what is a good suggestion for the essentials to start a successful tank? I realize there a different way to be successful in this hobby. I would like to get them a good base and let them decide how they want to run their tank... not how I might do it necessarily. Here is my list:

• tank 90-125 range- (reef-ready) AGA Megaflow, Oceanic RR, Glasscages RR, TRT/self drilled
  • stand
  • hood
  • lighting- VHO & MH's
  • RO/DI - they are on well water (TDS and water quality unknown)
  • live rock (some base rock to save $$)
  • sand- Yardright (I am a DSB fan)
  • salt
  • heater - appropriately sized
  • thermometer - digital
  • powerheads - mj1200's (closed loop optional)
  • sump
  • return pump
  • skimmer w/ pump (ER/or clone, Beckett style, AquaC EV-XXX)
  • hydrometer or refractometer
  • test kit - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH
  • misc. plumbing parts- tubing, pvc

Any obvious things I've left out... or might want to take out?

but at the same time I think I may have gone overboard. LOL

Not sure that's possible. Have someone in my office in the same position - thinking about a tank. One thing they seemed to appreciate most was an upfront & frank discussion of cost - not many are aware of how fast the $$$ can add up. They've seen most of the equipment delivered, but they were completely unaware of how much it cost (as I told them - so is my wife :lol: ).

I'm sure you covered the ground very well & you should be congratulated - if they get into the hobby they'll have few if any suprises.

Dave,

Obviously a couple more issued need to be asked with neither being anything to do with the tank?

#1 Couples financial situation?

#2 Couple time situation and committments?

As far as the tank, IMO

Tank, again based on #1 & 2, I'm a big fan of Bulkheads, 2 is great, 3 our better IMO again! TRT does a fine job on those and good place to take them to get started.

Stand & Hood, again depending on $, but make sure they get a Canopy that will allow enough height to keep MH (Best again IMO) from heating the water with proper ventilation fans.

LR, If time will allow, alot going on sale with good age to them for a good price. Would save them a ton and get a great start to cycling process, otherwise either TRT, Roozens or Internet.

Sump is the way to go with IMO, MAG pumps in sump or Japanese Version of IWAKI External pump, Little Giant, etc. I'm also a fan of SOFT plumbing vs. Hard PVC Plumbing, just gives an extra error or accessibility later if needed.

A basic test kit to get started, refractometer and Pinpoint PH Monitor would be on my wish list.

Alot of good options on skimmers and I'll leave that for others to chime in on!

AGAIN, Alot of this has to do with their financial and time commitments and being that you seem to be a GREAT FRIEND for helping them out, just do the old fashion thing and KISS them! KEEP IT SIMPLE and get them hooked before they need to REFINANCE their home!

:P

Howard

I agree with Howard......check their financial situation first. I found out the hard way that it's better to make the investment from the start rather than try to go cheap and play catch-up.

I would go with the bigger tank - 120g. It won't take up much more room than the 90g and they will appreciate the extra space as their tank fills up.

If they have any skills whatsoever I would advise them to build the stand and canopy.......there are a lot more customizations they can make to suit their individual needs. If not, have them look around a lot before they commit.

Go with MH.......I've experienced and read too many posts about people trying to go cheap on lights and having their tank go to H-E-double hocky sticks

Definately go with the sump.......incorporate a fuge in there if possible. Go with the Mag if they're going submersible and definately a SCWD or Oceans Motions (depending on budget).

IMHO - and based on my experience, look on the boards at RC, SWF and the local clubs and buy the stuff used. You can get a lot more for your money that way.

What Steve said is true about the expense, I got a FREE 30g tank and about $800 later sold it for $650, then got a FREE 90g tank and $4000 later, still trying to stop the leak in my wallet!

:unsure:

One other thing and to me this was probably the best recommendation that I ever got in the hobby, READ A GOOD BOOK!

My first was Natural Reef Aquariums: Simplified Approaches to Creating Living Saltwater Micocosms by John Tullock

: http://www.premiumaquatics.com/thestore/pr...TURAL-REEF.html

I see they have already started, which shows to me that they understand they need to LEARN before starting!

Howard

Guest clownfish4

I would recommend buming up to a 180 if you consider the 125. I know several people, my self included, who wish they had the extra 6" width.

Yes, as all have mentionned so far, the $$ situation and how much they will be able to commit, not only for the initial setup but also for all the things that will follow (maintenance, new stock ect...)

In my case, I bought a few pieces of equip every month, til I got every thing ready to go. First tank and stand, then bulbs and ballasts and RODI unit, then pumps and other stuff, then LR. No need to deplete all the cash resources in one shot if money is/can be an issue. Unless they really can afford it.

On the tank type RR IMO, and for the size, ask them where will the tank be? Don't forget to explain them that a filled tank with rock weights a lot. What is under the floor, as beams orientation ect... Then 90 VS 120 almots same footprint both 4 ft long, same with 125-150-180 (6ft long)...

DYI stand and canopy is the way to go (if they don't mind doing it) My stand came from the store, I wish I haev made it my self.

I agree with Howards, flexible plumbing is what I prefer.

Also, how much additional load can their electrical circuit take, in addition of what it is currently supplying? If necessary, it is very simple to get wires and outlets installed just for the tank needs (A kind Wamas member did that for me).

Last but not the least, invite them to come to the next meeting on May 14th. That way they can have the possibility to meet other hobbyists and perhaps get/buy stuff from members when they decided to go ahead.

Well, I went over a lot of the suggestions so far. I definitely went over the costs... I'll let them determine what their financial status is. ;)

We covered the extra circuits (2x20A), GFCI and loads of other stuff... Got a call this afternoon they bought a non-reef ready 120. The wanted a 4' tank and the 24" gives them nice depth, so not a bad choice in terms of size. Holes can be drilled.

So I guess my list isn't missing anything obvious needed for initial start up? I think they are coming by this evening to show me the new tank and their bucket of salt. ;)

Of the list of things I will be helping them with, I will probably build them a sump... as soon as the stand, skimmer and other details that will be important get worked out.

too late for my suggestion to start with a nano cube and read - read - read- Everything is dependent on what you want to keep- Just understand that the natural porgression is that someone will coax you with that first "free" sps to add to your nice softy and leather only tank. So if you have any inclination to that you will grow, start out with the right lights first- I owe myself a trip to culpeper to see your tank Xeon-

Regards,

Lee

Lee, you are welcome of course to come out. I might bring the husband and/or couple to the great food making party. Still not sure if I can make it. Eddi's tank and setup would be a good thing for them to see.

Xeon,

I will not be able to make the food making party as I got tagged with a business road trip next- Eddie is going to pick up my half block of mysis, sirulina powder and some other items to donate to the mix- I'll give him the funds for my salt and cyclopeze I ordered. Sorry I will miss you folks- I should be available for the meeting on the 14th though- you coming in for that?

Regards,

I agree with Howard......check their financial situation first.  I found out the hard way that it's better to make the investment from the start rather than try to go cheap and play catch-up. 

I'm not sure it REALLY helps in the long run. I have a deep and powerful appreciation for:

* the amount things cost, and how important it is to spend the money now instead of more later.

* The amount of time it takes when things go wrong... and that things DO go wrong now and again.

I wonder... do you really develop the necessary appreciation if you don't make mistakes first? I used to use tapwater. Ha. I used to have regular lighting. Ha. I used to not bother testing much. Ha.

Maybe it's sufficient to have people tell you how important it is. You really get the message when you see for yourself though. Who knows ... maybe someday they'll say -- gah, things have been going so well, I can probably run those bulbs longer than a year. Or... Oh my RO system is clogged -- bother, I'll just use some tap water with chlorine eliminator.

I would recommend buming up to a 180 if you consider the 125.  I know several people, my self included, who wish they had the extra 6" width.

Yeah, if it's a question of volume, the 120 really looks cooler than the 125 with that extra depth. If you want wider, I'd say go 180 and skip 125 entirely.