Planning for the future

Glenn

I think I may have mentioned a few times that I'm starting to buy stuff now (while I'm fully employed) to help build my retirement tank - a 6x2x2 180g tank. I currently have two MP40's and am wondering if I need additional flow and how much. The return pump will be something in the 1200-1800gph range. Although I won't start with SPS, I do plan to graduate to them after getting the new tank established.

Thanks to another member, I "think" I have the opportunity to buy two MP60's for about a grand or two MP40's for about $700. So - how much flow would I need and which should I buy?

I think I may have mentioned a few times that I'm starting to buy stuff now (while I'm fully employed) to help build my retirement tank - a 6x2x2 180g tank. I currently have two MP40's and am wondering if I need additional flow and how much. The return pump will be something in the 1200-1800gph range. Although I won't start with SPS, I do plan to graduate to them after getting the new tank established.

Thanks to another member, I "think" I have the opportunity to buy two MP60's for about a grand or two MP40's for about $700. So - how much flow would I need and which should I buy?

I think 2 mp40's would be fine for your 180. If you could get the 60's for 1k you could sell your current 40's for $600 or so and only be out $400 more.

If it was me, I would do the 60's and sell the 40's.

Eric - thanks for the awesome suggestion !

Guy - you're now first on the list if I'm able to get the 60s

How about low flow through the sump and circulation in the tank where it counts? I'm using this approach in a few tanks and it seems to work as well as with a high flow return but saves drastic amounts of money. It also makes a much quieter aqaurium.

Edited by zygote2k

Edit because I misread :( Sorry!

Ignore me.

Edited by Chad

How about low flow through the sump and circulation in the tank where it counts? I'm using this approach in a few tanks and it seems to work as well as with a high flow return but saves drastic amounts of money. It also makes a much quieter aqaurium.

+1

Are we talking about 2 MP40's in the ES model for $700? If so that is a good deal.