Can CAULERPA spread from my fuge to my display tank?

Larry Grenier

I have a relatively huge sump/fuge with just some live rock, a skimmer, a small phosban reactor, and a return pump in in it. I was thinking of adding lights and a few species of CAULERPA in there. My sump-fuge is in the basement below the tank and about 6 feet off the floor. I wanted to make it a display/fuge and do something like these guys did but I fear caulerpa traveling to the upstairs display tank. Thoughts?

I used to exclusively use the grape caulerpa that was renowned for going sexual in my refugium and with this setup I never had any attach in the main tank, but it is a bit impractical. Back then I ran a very large pond rated UV sterilizer that was 3 feet long for several non related reasons, but any caulerpa that got loose had to travel through that to get to any display tank. the bits that made it through were completely clear, or bleached white, and never recovered or became an issue.

That being said keeping a light on caulerpa for 12 hours a day in a reverse cycle from daylight is a good way to keep them from going sexual due to stress or not enough growth/photosynthesis.

cheato is still a much better option regardless due to its non interest in rock attachment. grape caulerpa loved rocks in the fuge and literally balled into then grew off of them.

Some caulerpa such as paddle fin, grow like crazy! A small sprig breaking off from the sump and landing in the main tank COULD be the start of invasion, like mentioned earlier,chaeto is asexual and easier to control. I also like how it helps with nutes. Grape caulerpa is decent. Red gracillia algae looks good and isn't as invasive either. There's plenty more out there, it seems like the ones mentioned throughout this post is most common.