Opinions needed on a point and shoot

BowieReefer84

I am in the market for a new camera. I am tired of taking pictures with my cell phone at this point. I will be purchasing a point and shoot rather than an SLR. This is because I want to keep the price down, and do not ever plan on being a pro. Only looking for something that will satisfy my needs for a couple years.

I have found what seems to be a nice deal, and want to double check with those on the boards. It always suprises me how many of you are truly amazing at taking pictures.

Here is the cnet review http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs7/4505-6501_7-33978848.html?tag=rnav. The price on Amazon is $237.18. It is Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7.

Thanks,

Mike

PS - If you are aware of something better in the 150 - 250 price range let me know. 250 is my MAX budget. Like I said, I am not trying to be a pro.

We recently purchased a nikon P100, ive been extremely pleased with it. It has tons of features, a lot of the features the D series has, it takes an incredible picture, even takes really good macro shots with minor tweaking. I am by no means a camera expert, not even a novice really. Thats why we went with something more simple than some of the DSLR ( though I plan to make that leap as well one day).. Nikon makes a great product, and I thought it was reasonably priced.. Good luck, do your homework and shop around.

We recently purchased a nikon P100, ive been extremely pleased with it. It has tons of features, a lot of the features the D series has, it takes an incredible picture, even takes really good macro shots with minor tweaking. I am by no means a camera expert, not even a novice really. Thats why we went with something more simple than some of the DSLR ( though I plan to make that leap as well one day).. Nikon makes a great product, and I thought it was reasonably priced.. Good luck, do your homework and shop around.

Thank you for the input, I will def check that one out. Another I am looking at is the Canon PowerShot SX210IS. The price is right at $250 on Amazon. The Cnet review... http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-sx210-is/4505-6501_7-33975908.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1r

I have a Sony DSC N2 touch. It takes great pictures- look at my pictures in the gallery. since it's a few years old, you might be able to pick up a used one for less than 2 bills. great movies too- check 'em out on youtube.

Also, when you get a camera, get the high speed memory card (ie 20MB/s) and a tri-pod.. Oh, and the warranty that covers everything including drops and spills..

How can I tell what memory card is highspeed?

It will say the speed on it, and the class.. Like the example above, that particular card is a Class 10 (i dont really know what the class thing means but the higher the better.

A lot of the cameras take an SDHC card (secure digital high capacity) If you look at each one listed you will see a few things listed, 1.) Size (ie 2GB, 4GB etc.) 2.) Speed (ie 20MB/s) 3. Class (ie class 4, class 6, class 10).. I think the size and speed are most important, im not fully understanding the whole class thing, but higher seems to be better..

This is the card I think I am using, but the 8GB version --> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SanDisk+-+Extreme+III+16GB+Secure+Digital+High+Capacity+Memory+Card/9141877.p?id=1218033630151&skuId=9141877

I also went with that card bc my camera can record in 1080P video aswell.. It may be overkill, but better than not having enough.!

(edited)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just picked up a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 on Amazon for $180. For the price I did not see anything that was better, although there are lots of options in this price range.

Can't wait to take some new shots... too bad super saver shipping is 5-8 days.

Edited by BowieReefer84

Um, so yea. How do I focus in on macro shots? Everything is a blur even on macro mode.... I am better with my cell phone. I have full manual control and auto adjust. Any tips at all would be greatly appreciated.

F? Aperature? uhhhh... what's that mean?

wacko.gif

Figure out if the blur is due to motion or out of focus. If focus, back up you are probably too close. Crop it later.

If it's motion a smaller number for F (aperture) may help as will a higher iso setting. If you can use a tripod or sturdy surface and the self timer that will help too.

There is only so much a point n shoot can do but you can get decent results with practice and a bit of technique.

I'm happy to teach anyone what I know about photography. I'm in Alexandria.