American Lobster

davelin315

So, I have had a tank up and running without an octopus for quite a long time now (I had been looking for Grand Mart to get more octopus in but seems like they aren't going to get them anymore...). Anyway, since this tank was designed to be cold, meaning between 50-65 degrees, I have been contemplating animals to put in there other than an octopus. I still have 2 abalone in there that have been in the tank for about a year now, but since they are generally not very exciting creatures since they spend an awful lot of time clamped to the side of the tank doing nothing, it was time to add something else. I did have some gulf shrimp in there that I got from an Asian Market, but they didn't last too long (they were essentially dead when I bought them and I brought them back to life as much as I could with one living for about a month - really, they were in there in case I found another octopus), so I opted to go with either blue crabs or an American Lobster. After deciding that blue crabs were not what I wanted to have, I added an American Lobster tonight from Lotte Market. They had some fairly small ones in so I opted to get the most active one there, which wasn't saying much about them...

Anyway, I'll post a picture of my latest invert adventure later. Now it's off to watch the Super Bowl in which I don't want either team to win, but if one is to win, hopefully it'll be the team that beat the Bears...

Did you check H-Mart (Grand Mart's competition chain)? They usually have live animals.

That's kinda warm for an american lobster, isn't it? I thought they were mostly fished out of water in the 30's. My wife's from maine, so that's about the extent of my lobster knowledge....

Anyways, if you are looking for more inhabitants, the SF bay might offer some opportunity. I saw some very colorful stars and palys in the "Aquarium of the Bay" while I was there last year. Not sure on their availability or even their names... I think I have some pics I can put up. I'll have to check my photo library when I get home. Also, I've heard that some cold water anemones can be very colorful as well.

Really not looking for anything normal, just looking for oddities. I like the odd creatures! H Mart, by the way, didn't have anything last time I was there and the only one that brought in octopuses was Grand Mart in Centreville, but no more...

Keeping a lobster has always been something I have considered since I was a kid. We once took a family trip to Boston and came back with a box of lobsters. I took one or two of them and put them into a 20 gallon aquarium that I poured a bunch of Morton's salt into to make saltwater - the lobster was dead by morning.

As far as water temperatures, they live between 5-20 degrees celsius from what I found (41-68 degrees fahrenheit) so I'm keeping it in between at around 60 degrees. They say when it gets above 68 degrees is when the health starts to deteriorate due to illness.

Last night I built a cave for it out of rock and it bulldozed the substrate out of that area to make the cave bigger. It kind of just sits there so I'm hoping that it gets more active once it eats. It's wild caught so I imagine it hasn't eaten for a few weeks.

That's pretty cool Dave. We had a HUGE one at the exhibit a few years back - don't know where we got it from, but I think it was from another aquarium. Anyway, we kept it for years at 50F (10C).

You could always do a road trip to Boston and get one off the docks... :biggrin:

Cheers

Mike

I have kept lobsters a few times from NY waters, (I have a lobster lisense) They are long lived but don't move much. The water here in NY in the summer gets into the 70s and they lived quite nicely.

They do eat quite a bit and need a good filtration system.

I have also kept blue claw crabs and many other things from the North Atlantic. They are much more tolerant of everything than tropical counterparts.

I can and do collect collect these animals as babies but there is a large fine for taking small lobsters.