Chantilly HS Oceanography

LanglandJoshua

I emailed an old teacher of mine (she is the reason I got into this hobby). I asked if she would be interested in any donations from the culb. The reply was, "I can always use any donations and help with my tanks". From memory, she has four marine tanks. If anyone has a spare filter, it would help her alot with her 85 gallon tank. There are several others. Filtration and waterflow were always issues. If anyone is interested in helping please let me know.

Edited by LanglandJoshua

Sounds like you have a new project. With everything you've learned from WAMAS, you should be able to help her out.

Yes, all my massive knowledge(nothing compared to the people here). The thing is my financesxare tie-in getting my 75 set up for breeding clowns...

• 4 weeks later...

I would recommend them contacting us @ info@wamas.org or officers@wamas.org and get them set up with an account and a build or description thread started. Easier for folks to see what you may need or what you are looking for with a a dedicated thread.

I still have linkia starfish to donate, I'll keep them for a few more weeks so they'll adjust. Then they can go to any school. Pm me in a few weeks if your school wants some.

I would recommend them contacting us @ info@wamas.org or officers@wamas.org and get them set up with an account and a build or description thread started. Easier for folks to see what you may need or what you are looking for with a a dedicated thread.

That is why I made this post, she is a WAMAS member, but being a teacher has little time for forums. I will send her another email, see if she will email one of the officers.

From my knowledge she has a wet/dry sump and a backpack skimmer. From what I've learned here this is what she needs.

Skimmer-for about 120 gallons.

Powerheads-I remember she's using magflows. A couple 1200's, but mostly 900's

Overflow- using one that has to have a small vacume pump. It fails constantly...flooding.

Return pump- for her tank preferably about 8-900gph maybe more.

Once the basic systems are covered then more livestock can be added. Depending on resources maybe some reactors/dozing pumps/UV light. But she needs basics before we get into that stuff.

Shes got plentyvof live rock, and easily 250lbs of sand. But she's got low waterflow, a failing overflow, and filter floss that's so nasty no one cleans it...increasing nitrates & nitrites bad.

That's why i was putting it out there for anything that could help.

I'll bet with your help alone and some good regular maintenance, that tank will be superb by the end of summer. I had a tank with a whisper filter that held many fish from the bay for a good long while in the Marine Bio program at NOVA.

Way easier than trying to establish a reef for a school tank.

(edited)

She has two 55 gallon fresh water tanks, two 30 gal reef tanks, and one 20 gal reef tank. With about 15 other small freshwater tanks with everything from guppies to frogs and a turtle. Each tank is cared for by a student for a quarter of the year. I spent three of mine with the reef tankhappy.gif

well the problem is its a student run tank, I want to help, and I want it doing well. But with what she has now, I dont think it will care for much. By the end of the year I cared for it, we had one anemone and some hammer coral frags. Just some small ones. But the chemical levels were fine, and I had to clean the skimmer cups every day BOTH OF THEM mad.gif theyare tiny little things that dont hold much.

Another thing is that over summer she still has to care for the tank. An auto feeder would be amazing. When I get more into thinking about it, if she had an Digital Reek Keeper then it would be cared for well. Even one that links online, students and her could check on it any time.

But these are just ideas. First we need basics. She does have an RO system. But no auto-top-off. The top off unit disapeared before I got there...lol

Even thinking more about it, her sump could be used as a refugium. She would just need better acrylic baffels. Both baffels have water flowing under, meaning the level stays way low, and not enough for any rock or anything. I was able to get some bioballs and have them held down by egg crating to create some filtration. But I doubt its ever been cleaned. That is why I think one good skimmer would do it for her for filtration.

I would love to be able to help, but without the equipment I cant do much.

*Grabs tweezers and pulls out skimmate*rolleyes.gif

Edited by LanglandJoshua

Thompkins?

There is a grant program in place to ask for $$ for tanks for schools. I understand about the time. Asking for equip donations is fine as well, but with a a few updates here every few weeks on here they can get cash for needed items. Supporting a tank at a local school, I can honestly say the more participation you show here, the more you are apt to get equipment donations.

Yes, her name changed to Gerbassi. That is very good info, all I can do is look for possible donations/used stuff. But I can't help with the grants for her. I do what I can :biggrin: