UV Steriilzer

Mando77

I was thinking about adding a UV Sterilizer, just to make the water clearer/better. I have a 29 gal tank, and wondered if its worth it. The tank has been running for over 2 years so I thought this might help. I was wondering if anyone else has been using a steriziler on a small system and found the sterilizer useful.

I was thinking about adding a UV Sterilizer, just to make the water clearer/better. I have a 29 gal tank, and wondered if its worth it. The tank has been running for over 2 years so I thought this might help. I was wondering if anyone else has been using a steriziler on a small system and found the sterilizer useful.

I actually spoke with Matt (our speaker) about using a sterilizer for algae and he said that it's not particularly useful in reef tanks - sterilizers are useful for eliminating certain bacterial elements and eliminating or preventing greenwater in ponds and occasionally in freshwater tanks. He said that our reef tanks don't have enough free-floating algae spores for it to be worth it.

If you're looking for additional clarity, consider a carbon reactor and/or ozone.

I think they have many benefits in marine tanks.

Yes why? I have had one on the tank but recently noticed the UV bulb was not coming on. Before buying a new bulb (assuming that is the problem), I would love to hear the Pro's and Cons. It would be informative...Thanks, Dave

The smallest tank I ran one on is a 40gal sumpless, the trade offs are cost and heat, its going to be forever debated on benifits vs not, just form your own opnion and go for it.