fish keep dying PLEASE READ

Papa Splax

I noticed that too. Ocean water and tap for top off. This is a recipe for trouble.

Stop using the ocean water unless you are able to get well out to see and collect it well below the surface. The water on the surface and the shore can be highly polluted. For all you know, you are putting gasoline contaminated water in your tank and who knows what that will do.

okay no ocean water... makes sence glad i havent done that yet... and ill start leaving my faucet water sit out for a few days... and the top off whats this do exactly... hows it help i just want it Ellaborated upon

No i mean leaving the top off literally... whats that actually improve i understood what u meant my topping off my tank lol... but easily confused i had to look around for a min and see what u were talking about

Oh, I think that was in response to your concern about low oxygen. Taking the covers off will help with that.

It will also increase evaporation so be ready with some nice filtered water for "top off".

you can also go to the store and buy deionized water from the store for anywhere from 35-50cents a gallon. it is filtered more then tap water so it just helps a little.

ive just never actually seen a saltwater tank that has a top, im sure there out there but ive not seen it. the surface area in your sump is not that large and yes the overflow does add some 02 but ive had an open tank on all of mine and only had 2 fish jump before i had the mesh screening up. i have built what is called a hood (bascially an enclosure to house the light on top of the tank ) but it is open in the back with fans to help circulate air, that means that the fish could only get out the back (where i have screen up)

i think most people are just trying to share what we have had work for us.

Oh yeah, i tihnk u guys make take me wrong... i am learning... i am just asking questions so i know who, what , and why... i dont ask questions bc i dont beleave... plus i found if u take everyones advice youll have a mess... so i just take in knowledge and work from there... i cant beleave everyones got open top salt waters thats something else i would have never thought it should be kept open... which a mesh screen of everything... that blows my mind... but i know now since 100ppl told me take my top off i must be doing something wrong