14 Biocube LED DIY

iangibby

planning on making a few led fixtures over my 180 so I decided to experiment on my wife's 14g bio cube. I also didnt use the normal Cree leds i went with ones from satis.com. They are not as efficient as Cree but will suffice for my purpose. I also built this fixture for about 60 bux. I did use the meanwell driver 35-700 and wired 12 leds 8 blue 4 white in one series circuit. This was all done without any permanent mods on the hood so I can put it back to stock if needed.

100_2863.JPG

100_2862.JPG100_2865.JPG100_2866.JPG100_2872.JPG100_2873.JPG

(edited)

Looks great. Was there a reason or hite in thr front/back?

More experimental than anything. I like the blue look and with the leds so close to the water i didnt want to take the chance. I surrounded the 4 whites with a blue curtain if you will. Im not sure if that worked or not but the color turned out nice.

I think i will have to add a small fan to blow across the heat sink.

Edited by iangibby

Guest thefishman65

Do you notice the difference in the tank? It is a little hard to tell from the picture. Most thread I have read people try and mix as much as possible so that is why I am so curiuos.

Do you notice the difference in the tank? It is a little hard to tell from the picture. Most thread I have read people try and mix as much as possible so that is why I am so curiuos.

Its a huge difference compared to the pc lights that came in the stock hood. As far as mixing the color leds I think this is such a small space it may not have mattered how I arranged them. I only used one driver so I cant turn either off independently. I did however have to move some coral around cause they were getting burned.

• 6 months later...
Guest thefishman65

Add a fan, that is probably hotter than is good for them. Or maybe just some air holes.