live copepods, amphipods, or mysis shrimp needed

Tom

Hi,

I have about 30-40lb LR in my tank. As I can see carefully, there are small critters in and out of the small holes on the LR. Since the tank is only 4 months old, I am thinking getting some of those creature and put them in the tank when the light is off. I have found some on-line stores carry those as a package, but can not find it anymore. Any LFS or any WAMAS members are willing to share or sell?

Thanks,

--Tom

Hi,

I have about 30-40lb LR in my tank. As I can see carefully, there are small critters in and out of the small holes on the LR.  Since the tank is only 4 months old, I am thinking getting some of those creature and put them in the tank when the light is off. I have found some on-line stores carry those as a package, but can not find it anymore. Any LFS or any WAMAS members are willing to share or sell?

Thanks,

--Tom

29234[/snapback]

What you are seeing is probably amphipods and copepods. Copepods are very small, so you will probably see and/or notice them more on your glass due to their size. To help their population, adding phytoplankton to your tank will do wonders.

It is also tough to harvest them, or at least I think so. The easiest way to get them locally is to get some macros from a fellow reefer. More than likely it will contain copepods, amphipods, bristle worms and maybe some mini-brittle stars. In my experience getting a wad of chaeto is the best way to do this since it is "brillo-paddish".

I just got some Chaeto from Tri BUi, but did not see any critters in it. I do have a bottle of phytoplankton laying around, so will dose some. But there is no easy way to tell if it works or not.

xeon is right feed some phyto plankton every other day for anbout 10 days and you will be amazed at the number of pods and filter feeding tube worms that begin to show up.