38 gallon Tank build (lots of pics)

Mopar32985

Well to start off with i hope everyone here has had a nice holiday. I know i did. I figured it was time to post up my tank build. I made out good for the holidays i got just about everything i need to start my build. If any of you guys have any comments or suggestions along the way i would love to hear them.. I guess to start off with i will post up the pics of my equipment i have so far.

38 gallon tank

DSC_0678.jpg

20 long sump

DSC_0676.jpg

Current extreme pro t5 6x39 watt

DSC_0677.jpg

Glass Holes 700gph overflow kit

DSC_0666.jpg

Glass Holes 3/4 return kit

DSC_0667.jpg

Eheim 1260 for return pump

DSC_0673.jpg

Super Reef Octopus RO-PS-1000Int

DSC_0671.jpg

DSC_0672.jpg

Finnex ***-200 titanium Digital Control Heater

DSC_0674.jpg

Bulk Reef Supply 150gpd RO/DI 5 stage unit

DSC_0668.jpg

Bulk Reef Supply Dual Reactor with carbon and GFO

DSC_0669.jpg

Refractometer

DSC_0675.jpg

The Piranha Float by algae free

DSC_0670.jpg

Last about 100 lbs of dead rock i got for $100 not going to use it all but was such a good price i had to buy it

DSC_0679.jpg

Going out to marrow to buy some wood to build my stand and to get some sand for the tank. Will post updates when i get some stuff done. Thanks

-Chance-

haha, I just showed that bathtub pic to my fiance... she told me not to get any ideas, I told her that I had already done that with the LR in my tank before she moved in! :)

Thanks guys for the responses haha yea luckily we have this old tub in the basement and we dont use it at all so the wife was ok with it. As for flow right now im just going to use the return pump and adventually will get a koralli. Well today i got alot dont i got the stand built enough to get the tank up on it and start getting it ready. Also i was very worried about drilling the tank but it was alot easier than i thought and it turned out great. I will get some pics of what i got done soon, hopefully tonight.

-Chane-

Haha that's the truth. On live stock not really sure yet. I know I def want to keep mostly LPS, but as livestock go I'm not 100% sure yet would love to hear some ideas though.

Well i got a little further tonight finally got water sand and rock in the tank. I wanted to wait till it cleared up to post pics but i promised tonight. Let me know what you think about the aquascape and if you have any suggestions. One thing i was thinking is to remove the one rock to the far right. I dunno

DSC_06682.jpg

DSC_0666-1.jpg

DSC_0668-1.jpg

DSC_06662.jpg

I know the stand isnt nice yet not done with it im thinking about making like a sleeve that will cover the three sides and i can just slide it off and on so there will be no doors. Let me know what you all think.

-Chance-

Nice setup and equipment. I have a lot of the same and am very happy with it. Is that yellow power strip secured well? It looks like it is hanging off center there - wouldn't want it to fall in the sump.

I think you have a great start, definitely some nice equipment. My suggestions are 1.) put the light legs on the light fixture, IMO it is way to close to the water, 2.) take the reactor out of the sump, mount it to the wall or stand, or set it somewhere other than the sump, 3.) Use that space where the reactor is for a nice refugium or DSB..

Also, for the stand, some people use magnets to attach a cover to the sump, similar to your sleeve idea, they can come off quickly and easily..

All in all, your off to a great start, take your time and enjoy yourself.!!

Thank you very much for your input and suggestions. I def want to do a refug but I'm thinking of setting up a totally separate tank and tying it into this system so I can keep a very low flow through the refug. Also I do like your idea about the magnets I will have to look into that.

-Chance-

I def want to do a refug but I'm thinking of setting up a totally separate tank and tying it into this system so I can keep a very low flow through the refug.

-Chance-

Is there a reason for having low flow through the refugium?

Great set up by the way.

I'm not a pro but from what I understand is that the low flow will keep your pods in the refug. Which will help them produce, and help your macro alge to absorb nutrients out of your tank. If I'm wrong hopefully someone else will jump in. Thanks for the comment.

-Chance-

Put the reactors on the wall under the R/O because it will look better and be easier to service.

Put the power strip somewhere where water won't be able to splash onto it and make sure it's secure. Wire wrap/loom all cables too.

Instead of the legs for the fixture, use the hanging kit because it will allow a greater amount of room to add/remove things from the tank.

My refugium works great and it has lots of flow from a couple different directions, once your macro (cheato) grows in you will have plenty of protection. Make a couple small rock rubble piles and those are great pod farms.. I dont think there is a need for another tank/pump/plumbing etc, thats just one more thing to go wrong and one more thing to have to deal with. I like a seperate refugium in a vary large system, but in your system, I dont see the need, you have plenty of space in your sump, and flow definitely WONT be an issue, your pods will be just fine.

I agree with Rob (zygote) that hanging the light would be even better than the legs, but it shouldnt be resting on the tank like that, you could be 1 splash away from a fire.. Same thing with the power strip. You seem to be a pretty handy guy, i know I couldnt build a stand. So use your skills to make it more visually appealing and safe.

You could also build a cabinet (side stand or you could make one for the wall) to conceal your RO/DI unit, and or you could keep your ATO water in it, etc.. I like to think of my tank/stand etc as a part of the furniture (even though my stand could use some paint).. IMO I want people, and myself included in those people to look at my tank and be focused on whats in it, as oppossed to whats all this crazy looking equipment on the walls/floor etc.. Dont take the attention away from all the hard work you have put in to your tank with the clutter around it. I would want my system to blend in with the room, and let the interior of the tank (your reef) to stand out. Again, these are just my opinions, and we all do things very different.

And get yourself one of those DJ switch things, I have one, but cant remember the name, im sure someone else can chime in. That way you can turn things off/on, rather than unplug them all the time, and the DJ switch things arent to expensive..

Edited by trockafella

• 2 weeks later...

Hey sry guys i havent posted in a while been a little crazy with work. I am now ready for fish going to put one or two in tomorrow. I did take some of your guys suggestions a ran with them. The only thing i havent done yet is to skin my stand. Wich i dont think i will do this is in my rc hobby room so its more for me and not others. Well here is a short video i made, and i would love to hear what you guys think. Thanks

Looks great, i am glad you took everyone's advice. The only problem i had was the light resting on the tank and the power strip hanging above the sump, you have corrected those problems so no worries. Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another video with some new frags i picked up at the WAMAS Winter meet. This was my first time at a meet and i really enjoyed myself. Next time i will know to bring more money haha. It was very nice to meet some of you there today.

• 3 months later...

I like the second pic better. It looks like you will have more room in the center for the tank for corals.

Thanks man I just switched it all to the second pix and wanted some opinions on it. You know how it is when you switch it you never like it at first.

-Chance-