Anyone selling Macro Algae?

lmeyer

Hi all,

I just converted 1/3rd of my sump to a reverse photoperiod refugium. Added sand and lights over the weekend. Have called the local stores I use, but none of them have any macro algae at the moment. I could wait until they get it in stock, but patience is not my virtue. Anyone have some extra they want to sell off? Probably most interested in Caulerpa racemosa followed by Caulerpa sertularoides unless others have different suggestions.

Add your location to your profile and/or tell us where you are at. I'm sure someone close to you have some macros they would give you.

The racemosa (Grape Caulerpa) is very prone to go asexual, which releases anything they sucked up back into the water column. Sertularoides (Feather Caulerpa) in my experience isn't problematic as far as going asexual. I have a hodge podge of macros in my refugium that include grape, feather, chaeto, razor, one fine red, one thick heavy red (Halymenia?) and some greenish red stuff(Laurencia or Chondria?). The chaeto is the best IMO and seems to be the most widely sought after.

I have Chaeto if you are interested Pm me- It is free- SLower growing in my opinion than the Calurpas, but will not crash. Tangs do not like it too well- wich is why I still grow some calurpa in my fuge and 29 to feed the ever hungry Tangs.

Sorry, just added location to the profile. I am in Kensington, only a few blocks from where we hold our Maryland meetings. It seems that a lot of our members are from Virginia (including the two of you who were good enough to reply). Culpeper is a bit far to go for me for macro, so I'll wait it out. I appreciate the info on the different varieties. Yours is the most straightforward and concise info I've seen!

Larry

If you make a trip to The Reef Tank- I am jsut a few minutes from there - So PM me if you are going to be in the area.

Regrads,

Lee

I just dumped like a 5 gallon bucket out. Wish I would have known somebody wanted it. I usually post and give someone a week to pick it up for free. Its the good stuff that grows in my fuge like a weed on steroids!

Guest reverai
I just dumped like a 5 gallon bucket out.  Wish I would have known somebody wanted it.  I usually post and give someone a week to pick it up for free.  Its the good stuff that grows in my fuge like a weed on steroids!

28692[/snapback]

Sam the next time you have some send send me an email as we both live Alexandria and I can use some more cheato!

Thanks

Steve

Those who have it to spare, if you are coming to the April meeting can you bring some out? That might be the factor that convinces my wife to let me go :)

I always bring several baggies as do others- The free table gets sucked dry pretty quickly- As the meeting gets nearer there will be a frag trade thread opened and just check to see who has something you might need. When folks ask me I try to mark the baggy wilth their name. It is also a great time to get a sand innoculation of critters.

Regards,

Lee