RO/DI Unit

Folta

Ok, this is one I see a bunch on on ebay:

Ebay 6 stage ro/di

anyone have this one? If so, is it good or bad?

thanks,

Tim

Hey all.  I'm looking at the air/water/ice website, and they have this unit for sale for 139.00:

Airwaterice RO/DI Unit Link

Is this a good one?  I'm also looking on ebay (or if anyone has a used one for sale, please speak up!)

Thanks!

Tim

28434[/snapback]

I personally like clear cannisters, and to have a canister for the DI. Get a tds meter if you don't get clear (and a good idea even if you do). I reconfigured mine so I can use a refillable DI resin chamber. Other wise, if you can get it for $70, it is a great price. Check on shipping price and make sure it isn't outrageous (some of the e-bay places would pull that crap). Also send an e-mail and ask the mfg of the RO membrane (you want a DOW filmtec membrane) I have never used the "polishing" carbon filter. Their prices on replacement filters is pretty good as well. I get mine from buckeyfieldsupply.com (might check there as well). Air water ice has a good rep from what I remember- but I totally did the e0bay buy myself. a 100gpd is a good amount of water. Finally- if you want to hook it up to a fauctet, then you will need a screw in piece- the saddle valve go directly into your copper pipe.

Ebay 6 stage ro/di

anyone have this one?  If so, is it good or bad?

thanks,

Tim

28435[/snapback]

Is the 'clear cannisters' one the one thats one ebay that I linked to? I didn't see a brand on it.

I personally like clear cannisters, and to have a canister for the DI.  Get a tds meter if you don't get clear (and a good idea even if you do).  I reconfigured mine so I can use a refillable DI resin chamber.  Other wise, if you can get it for $70, it is a great price.  Check on shipping price and make sure it isn't outrageous (some of the e-bay places would pull that crap).  Also send an e-mail and ask the mfg of the RO membrane (you want a DOW filmtec membrane) I have never used the "polishing" carbon filter.  Their prices on replacement filters is pretty good as well.  I get mine from buckeyfieldsupply.com (might check there as well).  Air water ice has a good rep from what I remember- but I totally did the e0bay buy myself.  a 100gpd is a good amount of water.  Finally- if you want to hook it up to a fauctet, then you will need a screw in piece- the saddle valve go directly into your copper pipe.

28436[/snapback]

Ebay 6 stage ro/di

anyone have this one?  If so, is it good or bad?

thanks,

Tim

28435[/snapback]

Ive been using that ebay unit for about 5 months now - pretty happy with it.

Been checking the water and so far havent seen any significant loss in water

quality. I've probably used about 350G though it so far.

Do you have a TDS meter? Are you getting 0~1 on it?

Ive been using that ebay unit for about 5 months now - pretty happy with it.

Been checking the water and so far havent seen any significant loss in water

quality. I've probably used about 350G though it so far.

28438[/snapback]

Do you have a TDS meter?  Are you getting 0~1 on it?

28439[/snapback]

Yes I have a TDS meter. I've got the DI resin chamber half-filled, and been

getting a near consistant 3 ms so far. You get a choice of adapters when you

buy the ebay unit I think.

I would personally not spend the 200 for one that an aquarium mfg slapped their label on and way overinflated the price on. The guts are no better no worse than the one you are looking at- all pretty much the same.

The e-bay unit has several very useful things= a reverse flow, which some people do everymonth to "rinse" the membrane (extends the life on it), and is fully setup for autoshutoff if you desire that option. Only thing it doesn't have (or maybe does and I didn't notice it) is a pressure guage (which is by no means critical).

Clear canister is not a name brand- on the one you show, the canisters= housings= are white. Other ones are clear so you can see the internals. Useful for the first one especially as it gives a good reminder when it is time to change them out.

FWIW, the units are standardized by and large so you can get the replacement filters anywhere.

Michael

And yet another FYI - The filmtec 100gpd membranes aren't truly RO. I think they're called something like "nano" and are really meant for whole house filtration. They only reject about 90% of dissolved particles, true RO membranes like the 75gpd model reject 98%. It just saves a bit on DI material.

Very interesting. Thanks for that info erik. There have been times I have thought about bumping up to a 100gpd membrane, but will just stick with my 75 gpd if that is the case.

The shipping cost is listed as 22.50 & 5.00 insurance, so grand total:

-------

So, basically 100 bucks. It's good to know that I can buy replacements from other places since they are standardized. I emailed the seller a question about the RO membrane, if it was a DOW filmtec... I'm still waiting on a response for that.

Check on shipping price and make sure it isn't outrageous (some of the e-bay places would pull that crap).  Also send an e-mail and ask the mfg of the RO membrane (you want a DOW filmtec membrane)

Here's a link to the one I bought on E-bay a few years ago. Same seller BTW, so I can attest to them as a seller I would trust. Works well for me and has clear filter housings, including the DI which is refillable.

5-stage RO/DI on E-bay.

Or if you want, they have a website they gave me after dealing with them the last few years buying membranes, replacement filters and so forth. I think they offer the same five-stage with clear housing, color changing DI, shutoff valve and so forth for around $100 + shipping. I imagine they would replace the 100gpd membrane with another choice if you requested, since they are cheaper anyway.

http://www.dervich.com/reef/

One other tip, wherever you buy... get a float valve. If you will be running your water into a container it will cut the filter off when the water reaches the level of the float valve. It took me two "little" floods to learn this.

Tim,

I've been using the exact Ebay listing myself, 6-stage. Great deal for the money. I've run a ton of water through it regularly and for the money, you can't go wrong.

You don't need any adapters with it. Just go to HD and pickup a 12-18" steel flex tubing, a "t" adapter and hookup direct to your cold water line under the sink with John Getz fittings from "T" adapter to unit.

I have a Conductivity Meter at the house if your close to use for no trouble later when time to replace units.

Howard

Very interesting. Thanks for that info erik. There have been times I have thought about bumping up to a 100gpd membrane, but will just stick with my 75 gpd if that is the case.

Just learned it myself after a discussion on RC (I was arguing that they were both identical - just a GPD difference). After careful reading on Dow's website I had to admit that there was a difference. Just replaced my 100gpd w/ a 75 myself, really isn't much of a difference output wise - few of us ever truly attain maximum output anyway.

I emailed the seller a question about the RO membrane, if it was a DOW filmtec... I'm still waiting on a response for that

Chances are real high that is is, there are only two manufacturers of RO membranes - DOW leads the way by a huge margin. And being that TFC (which Dow owns the technology) is the cheaper of the two versions (I forget the other type) Filmtec is almost always "under the hood" (sold under names such as DeSal etc.)

I just ordered a unit from here http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showprod...tegory=91&Sub=1

I got the 75 gpd Premium Series. Clear canisters, 20,000 gallon carbon block, flush kit, adjustable flow restrictor, refillable DI and pressure gauge for $149. Just order some of the LDPE tubing because they don't give you any to run to the drain, but its only 15 cents a foot.

Matt