Tiny Air Bubbles!

armymedic

oh, I thought your tank was this design.

http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_28_Gallon_Nano_Cube_HQI_Aquarium_with_FREE_Stand_%28MTS_60%29_Tank_with_Stand-JBJ_Lighting-JB7235-FIAQNCTS-vi.html

Any luck w/ cleaning the power heads [1]? they can be tricky to remove. In my nano tank, I have to remove the plumbing that runs through the back wall on the DT before I can get the pump out.

[1] I actually don't see any power heads in your pic. I assume you are referring to the return pumps, which are probably just power heads, but some people give them a different name because of their location.

hmmm...well there is 2 powerheads at the bottom back of the AIO tank. Yes that is the one i have 28 gallon HQI. I just refer to exit parts of the powerheads as the return as that is where the bubbles seem to be shooting out from. There is a little bit more coming out right now but thats because it needs to be topped off. But even when it's completely full, i still get some bubbles or small artifacts coming out. i will take them out and clean them tomorrow night. Well see what effect that has. thx.

I've been doing some reading on sonar which is vaguely connected with a task I have to do for my job. One of the big problems when sending out a ping is cavitation if too much energy is sent into the water. To make a long story short, a major cause seems to be little bits of organic matter, or bubbles enclosed by an organic film, that act as seeds for bubbles you can see.

I had alot of trouble with micro bubbles and finally gave up after I sealed every joint with silicon, etc. etc. After six weeks, when the skimmer and pumps were all coated with slime, the bubbles went away, never to return. Possibly the chemistry of organic matter changes over time due to skimming (which would tend to reduce the microscopic bubbles with an organic skin), and also perhaps after a while the organic matter tends to 'stick' to the pump hardware, thereby being removed from the water.

Just something to think about, when all else fails.... Perhaps this is a problem that just takes time, if there are no leaks or things of that nature....

Wes, it seems that in one of your earlier posts, you were unsure if these were really bubbles. To make sure, try turning your return pumps, refugium, and all other devices that circulate water, off and watch the behavior of your bubbles - just to confirm they are bubbles. Then try turning one pump (or system) on at a time and see if the bubbles coincide with one or more of the devices. Post your results here.