Brown Sand?

B216adkins

Hello today I looked in my aquarium and saw that some of the sand was brown. I have recently added some coral(frogspawn,mushrooms,green polyps, and star polyps). Thanks to BowieReefer!!!So is this natural? Almost the whole left side of the tank is brown. Please help

Probably a diatom bloom. However, the rocks I gave you were live (in my tank for 3 years), and there should not have been much of a bloom. Did you add any "base rock" to your tank? Have you added any snails/crabs or fish? I know when we tested your nitrates they were pretty high at around 80-100. I would do regular water changes and test test test.

Post a picture!

wieReefer84' date='12 October 2010 - 08:12 PM' timestamp='1286932344' post='337796']

Probably a diatom bloom. However, the rocks I gave you were live (in my tank for 3 years), and there should not have been much of a bloom. Did you add any "base rock" to your tank? Have you added any snails/crabs or fish? I know when we tested your nitrates they were pretty high at around 80-100. I would do regular water changes and test test test.

Post a picture!

Here are some pictures I will get a cleaner shrimp and snails this weekend.<a%20href=IMG_1009.jpg">

(edited)

wieReefer84' date='12 October 2010 - 08:12 PM' timestamp='1286932344' post='337796']

Post a picture!

Here are some pictures I will get a cleaner shrimp and snails this weekend

Edited by B216adkins

Looks good. I think that base rock (white rock) may be causing a small cycle in your tank. Get some nasarius snails, and a sand sifting star. That will help keep your sand turned over regularly, and clean. Just go sllloowwwwww.

Looks good. I think that base rock (white rock) may be causing a small cycle in your tank. Get some nasarius snails, and a sand sifting star. That will help keep your sand turned over regularly, and clean. Just go sllloowwwwww.

ok thanks again and where is a store where I can buy these animals?

You don't need to buy anything. It will go away on its own in a week or two.

It will go away, but he has no clean up crew in the tank. I am assuming his goal is to add livestock . . . .just saying. The things I said are just recomendations. There are many inverts/clean up crew critters you could buy. I was saying things that are reef safe.

Cerith snails are good, so are blue leg hermits. . . there are TONS of options.