Which light?

NemesisElite

Hello.

As some of you know I'm getting ready to kick start a new tank that I bought from phisigs a while back. The tank dimensions are 36 x 24 x 18, I plan on keeping a wide range of corals but mostly SPS. If I can't keep high maintenance SPS on the bottom of the tank, I'm not sweating it. I'm trying to keep the cost of the light to include the bulb in the initial purchase under $650, if its close I think I can bend a little bit.

My main goal is for it to look great, grow well, and be a good investment. I'm honestly leaning towards LEDs but I don't know what is going to have good growth and look well. I was at the marine scene today and almost said screw everything else I want MH with radium 20k, but I also looked at their 30g tank with LEDs and just for fun Matt put 2 more blue led strips on it and it started to look halfway decent. But as far as I know you can't get LEDs to do the color temperatures you can with MH. I just cringe at the thought of having to spend $300 every 6 months on MH bulbs so I don't know.

Convince me =)

I think with the dimensions of that tank you could do a single metal halide bulb in a good reflector and get away with a cost of under $500. Depending on which dimension is which (are you listing it as W*L*H?) you could adjust the height of the reflector to get what you want as far as coverage. As far as LEDs, I am sure you could get the color you wanted by doing different ones, but I am not an LED expert so couldn't say for sure.

Ah sorry I should have specified. It is 36" long, 24" deep, 18" tall, I think I said that right? Longest part which is left to right of the display, 36", front to back 24", top to bottom 18"

I considered doing one good MH, but should I make it pretty intense then? Like a 250w... 400w? Or would it be better doing 2x150w mh?

The more I think about it, the less I see myself doing LEDs. They are still just too new and they are so expensive. I realize in the long run they will probably be a better investment since you don't have to replace the bulbs for like 50,000 hours, but I feel like its still uncharted territory.

Also should I do a pendant or is it worth buying a "system?" I plan on supplementing with atinic bulbs whether it be from T5, CF, VHO, LED, I don't know either. I haven't looked at lights in like 2 years.

Thanks!

i've gotta 75 gallon and now i just bought a 125 gallon, im so glad i went pendant MH because i don't have to buy a whole new lighting system because i just add another pendant and im good to go. so right now i've got 2 pendants which are 250 watt MH and actinics bolted to the hood. also i believe on the market pendants from icecap are 300 bucks i believe. with pendants you would also need to think about how you would hang them and getting a fan small sized.

Either way would be just fine, it boils down to preference. As stated earlier you could get away with doing a single pendent with a really good reflector, 250 should be just fine at that depth. Or you could even look into the new Tek elite series for that price. Either way you go, you could always add led supplements later.

I started with 2x250w halides and 4x54w T5 fixture, and was not happy with the engery usage. I then upgraded to an 8x54w powermodule and love the ability to change the look by just switching some bulbs around. I just recently added a DIY led supplement of 24 x 3w leds and it is mind blowing. Even with my powermodule fully powered up I can still see the leds. So I personally would recommend leds for supplement.

I would say either way you go is fine, but I would recomment adding leds for supplement.

Good luck

are you going to be hanging the light fixture above the tank or setting it on the tank? if setting on the tank, i would go for the 6x39 watt ATI sunpower. if your going to be hanging the fixture, I would go with the 6x24 ATI sunpower from reefgeek for $519 with bulbs...

Eric-

I had Robert Chu (chucelli) make me one of his DIY LED fixtures and the growth and color I'm getting is pretty amazing. Much better than my 250w Phoenix 14K with 4 T5 actinics. As far as I'm concerned, I'm sold on LEDs. You are welcome to come by and look this weekend if you want to check it out. I'll be home at 1:00 on Friday afternoon and should be around most of the weekend.

Steve

I plan on doing sand on the bottom.

I currently have T5s on my 90 and have successfully kept everything I've wanted to include a carpet anemone on the sand. I definitely like t5s but since I'm turnin a new page in my tank setup I thought i would consider new options.

Ahhhh I still don't know. Thanks for everyone who has responded so far.