Tunze 6025 or 6045

TonyInVa

I need to buy another powerhead. I was cosidering Tunze 6045. I found them on line for $62, compared to must selling them for $86. But when searching I came across this in a forum. "Also the 6025 and 6045 produce the exact same amount of flow after both get the modification done to them. Both have the same motor block and propeller. Only difference is the screens". Does any one know if this is true?

i would buy the 6025 and do the mod. works really good. i had 3 of them before I got my vortech. you might also find them used in the $35 range...

I'm pretty sure they have the same prop but different wattage motors. In either case, I did the mods on all my streams by cutting every other or every two bars on the shroud using coral cutters. Takes about 3 minutes per pump and the flow difference is impressive. Cut every other bar if you have a lot of tiny fish, if large fish then cut two/leave one for even better flow. I did this on both the removable shroud as well as the pump body's shroud bars.

I'm pretty sure they have the same prop but different wattage motors. In either case, I did the mods on all my streams by cutting every other or every two bars on the shroud using coral cutters. Takes about 3 minutes per pump and the flow difference is impressive. Cut every other bar if you have a lot of tiny fish, if large fish then cut two/leave one for even better flow. I did this on both the removable shroud as well as the pump body's shroud bars.

I have done this as well. But if I buy the 6045 and do the mod to it will it out perform the modded 6025s?

I have a 6045 and a 6025 both with the mods done to them. The 6045 is easily more powerful.

Thanks Dave. Thats what I though. Just wanted to either verify or discount what this guy was stating.

I inside was modded. I cut every other piece of the outer shroud. This has increased flow a little. I put one that had all of the shroud and one that was modified, side by side, under water facing up. The one that had the shroud modified shot up about 2-3 inches higher.

So if they are the same it would be cheaper to buy the 6025 and mod it to make a 6045. Wow, think of all the money they made selling 6045's for $25 more the 6025 when it cost them the same money to each.

So if they are the same it would be cheaper to buy the 6025 and mod it to make a 6045. Wow, think of all the money they made selling 6045's for $25 more the 6025 when it cost them the same money to each.

No doubt. I just ordered a 6045, but onley paid $2 more. Seems the older models, without the flow restricter, are going cheap.