Air buble in a fish

Grav

I just fed the tank and everyone seemed fine, now one of my clowns is struggling to swim down. Without fighting hard, he keeps floating back to the surface.

His gut looks huge.

Could he have taken in some air?

Starting to look pretty bad, like he is going to struggle to death trying to get to the bottom of the tank.

I almost want to catch him and help him burp.

Am I nutz?

You are up and rolling early - have no idea Grav- I vaguely recall reading about similar situations but do not remeber the outcome- Some of the Freshwater guys might be able to answer up on this. Hope the spouse unit has not noticed- It will keep her awake until you figure out a cure.

Good luck

Syptomatically, it sounds like "Swim Bladder Disease". I've never seen or dealt with it, but that is what it sounds like.

The clock is off. that 4:00am post was really around 11:30pm.

Was expecting a floater this morning. He is a little better (no I didn't try to burp him) but still not looking great.

Ive got these needles someone gave me. Just don't know where to poke.

Phil,

The best info and treatment I could find was listed in a fresh water fish disease database. In regards to marine, I couldn't find much aside from the fact it was difficult to treat and diagnose the causes for it. If it is improving, it would be interesting to know if maybe it was constipated. :shrug: It would seem everything else would not really improve over night... if the swim bladder really is the problem.

Maybe this will help, good luck.

Swim-bladder Disease

Symptoms: Abnormal swimming pattern, difficulty maintaining equilibrium.

Swim bladder problems usually indicate another problem listed here. If you suspect swim-bladder problems in a fish, first check and treat it for other diseases as listed below:

• Congenitally deformed bladder.

• Cancer or tuberculosis in organs adjacent to the swim bladder.

• Constipation.

• Poor nutrition.

• Chilling or rapid fluctuations in temperature.

• Serious parasitic infestation.

• Serious bacterial infestation.

If you have eliminated other causes, make sure you are feeding the right food and make sure the fish is not constipated. Give it live food for awhile to ensure it is getting enough roughage. Also, check the temperature for your fish's requirements and keep the temperature stable.

Non-infectious Maladies

Tumors

Tumors can be caused by a virus or a cancer, but most tumors are genetic. The genetic tumors may be caused from too much hybridization, common amongst professional breeders.

Practically all tumors are untreatable. If the fish is in distress, it should be destroyed.

Congenital Abnormalities

Abnormalities usually occur when professional breeders are trying to acquire certain strains in breeds. Most are beneficial abnormalities like albinism or extra finnage. But undesirable abnormalities crop up and are usually culled out by the breeder. However, such abnormalities sometimes happen in the amateur aquarium.

If the abnormality is not life threatening or degrades the quality of life, just leave it be and brag to your friends about the unusual inhabitant. Otherwise, the fish should be humanely destroyed.

Injuries

Even in the best of aquariums and under the supervision of the most astute aquarists, injuries occur. Some times a bully fish is the culprit, or sharp decor. Sometimes there appears to be no explanation. As in the human world, accidents happen.

If the cause of the injury is obvious, it should be remedied. Then the injury should be treated. The injury should be touched with 2% Mercurochrome, which is supplied commercially. Also, depending on the fish's tolerance to water conditions, keeping the fish in slightly acid water should speed recovery (pH 6.6). Minor injuries, if the water conditions are good, should just heal themselves.

Constipation

Some fish are more susceptible to constipation than others. Usually fish with more compressed bodies like angelfish and silver dollars. Symptoms are loss of appetite and swelling of the body. The cause is almost always diet.

Usually, with a change of diet, the condition rights itself. But in stubborn cases try dried food that has been soaked in medicinal paraffin oil. Glycerol or castor oil may also be used. If the diet is changed on a regular basis and live foods offered occasionally this condition may never occur.

wow, thanks for finding that.

He is fine, big fat gut is gone.

I really think it was a bubble... which way it got out, I dunno. Would have made for a great pic.

Guest RED DOG

I had a lion fish do the same thing when I fed him. He never did recover. I tried everything too. I even tried holding it by the tail to try to get the air out. Didn't work, and he finally died. :(

Good to hear Phil, if it was the Swim Bladder thingamajigger... I wonder if he/she was constipated? It sounds like the only logical explanation out of the laundry list that may come and go potentially.

Glad he/she is doing better. Now I can't get the "Mikey from Life Cereal died from eating Pop Rocks and Pepsi" urban myth out of my mind :D ....