Spotted mandarin tasty?

guppychao

i alway thought that the skin on a mandarin was tough and nasty (not sure why i think that), i have an adult golden dwarf moray eel 12-14" long and just purchased the spotted mandarin about a month ago. he was about 1-2" big. havent seen the bugger in a week, you think the eel ate it?

I think it is eel food. Check the overflows and floor as I have had them jump before. Just the sight of the eel might make it jump.

How was it eating? Could it have starved to death as many do?

lol guppychao has eelchow

Serious, sorry to here about the mandarin, I have a psycho and he gets nipped at a bit. BTW they will take frozen brine after a bit of training, i was feeding live brine and my mandarin started eating frozen after that, guess he must be lazy.

I'm not so sure about it being eaten and if it's stuck anywhere you will smell it. They secret a slimey very putrid smelling odor when they are stressed. I had two 20 years ago of which one got stuck in the intake of my HOB filter. It died there. the smell is like something you've never ever smelled. It stunk up the entire apartment and it was only stuck there a few hours.

What size is the eel? They are normally small and you would have seen a nice lump in the eels belly if it ate the fish.

I thought the golden dwarf moray was supposed to be a crustacean eater, not a fish eater? Or is that just the snowflake?

"Supposed" being the key word. My last snowflake I had, who was well fed, would chase my male clown around the top off the tank every night right after the main lights went out. After a few close calls I had to remove the clownfish pair. I finally got rid of the eel after it killed a purple tang. Their eyesight is not good and during feeding time they can try to grab anything that moves. It was during feeding time and I guess it got in a frenzy because all I saw was the eel spit a fin out and then the purple tang swimming sideways. He died in less then a minute.

"Supposed" being the key word. My last snowflake I had, who was well fed, would chase my male clown around the top off the tank every night right after the main lights went out. After a few close calls I had to remove the clownfish pair. I finally got rid of the eel after it killed a purple tang. Their eyesight is not good and during feeding time they can try to grab anything that moves. It was during feeding time and I guess it got in a frenzy because all I saw was the eel spit a fin out and then the purple tang swimming sideways. He died in less then a minute.

Yeah I guess all bets are off in captivity. My tangs eat mysis and silversides after all.