What are those dark green pearl like balls

dano

On one of my rocks I have a small colony (growing) of a few dark green/blackish balls that look like little pearls. Anyone know what these are and if they are harmless? Thanks

Do a google image search for valonia... I think that is what you have.

They can become a nuisance if left unchecked, but I have always found them relatively simple to deal with. Wait until they are large enough to get your fingers around (1cm or so) and gently pry it off the rock. Be careful not to pop it as they multiply by releasing spores into the water column. Sometimes foxfaces and/or emrald crabs eat it.

Good luck!

thanks much... though I wish it weren't so, because I like the way they look, it looks like Valonia - Green Bubble algae is the correct id.

thanks... will try to take rock out today and pry off with razor blade and if I can't get it out of the tank I will try injections. They are spreading!!

Before using a razor blade, I would try to gently pry them off with your fingers... often you can work them off and get all of it in one piece without popping it. Using a razor blade, I would be concerned about cutting the bubbles and spreading the spore about.

On one of my rocks I have a small colony (growing) of a few dark green/blackish balls that look like little pearls. Anyone know what these are and if they are harmless? Thanks

My three yo calls them blueberries! :tongue:

I know they suck, I have a tank full of blueberries!

As a long time suffer of valonia, emerald crabs and foxfaces will generally work. Sometimes other rabbit fish will work, too.

With my new 90 tank setup using the contents of my 20 year old 55, I had a mega outbreak of valonia and other nusiance algae. I got a valonia eating foxface, 4 emerald crabs (one is the size of a small bus now!), and a media reactor using GFO. I am now worried that the foxface and crabs will not have enough to eat! I find this a good problem to have.

As a long time suffer of valonia, emerald crabs and foxfaces will generally work. Sometimes other rabbit fish will work, too.

With my new 90 tank setup using the contents of my 20 year old 55, I had a mega outbreak of valonia and other nusiance algae. I got a valonia eating foxface, 4 emerald crabs (one is the size of a small bus now!), and a media reactor using GFO. I am now worried that the foxface and crabs will not have enough to eat! I find this a good problem to have.

I had 2 emerald crabs in my old 29 gal. They destroyed my bubble algae is less than 2 months, but passed on shortly after it was gone. I am assuming lack of food.