water question - r/o unit?

dano

boy do I have alot of upgrading to do. 72 gallon fish tank with alot of live rock and wanting to grow into some easy corals. I have been using tap water purifier for water changes but have wondered about R/o units. Saw killrblue's post re. the 6 stage R/o unit on ebay. Is that a good one to get? Price seemed right. Is it hard to install? Any other ideas? Thanks

Guest Leishman

That's the one I have and it's idiot proof.

Mine had a leaky chamber and the fedexed me a new one the same day I called.

That's the one I have and it's idiot proof. 

Mine had a leaky chamber and the fedexed me a new one the same day I called.

27367[/snapback]

The Aqua-safe units on Ebay aren't bad. If you get one, don't order extra cartridges or DI pellets - I bought a mass quantity last time and would gladly split them to save some space in my apartment.

I think lnemup is selling an RO unit though but it won't be available for a week or so.

Ebay or used is the only way to go - the Kent systems are just too expensive for my taste.

Guest killrblue
boy do I have alot of upgrading to do.  72 gallon fish tank with alot of live rock and wanting to grow into some easy corals.  I have been using tap water purifier for water changes but have wondered about R/o units.  Saw killrblue's post re. the 6 stage R/o unit on ebay.  Is that a good one to get?  Price seemed right.  Is it hard to install?  Any other ideas?  Thanks

27365[/snapback]

That's the one I got last week. Need to figure out what parts to get at Home Depot to connect to the faucet. I didn't order the faucet adapter at the same time.

Does anybody have suggestions of a local hardware store for the faucet adapter. Tried to look for one late last nite and couldn't find the part. Did anyone did a DIY adapter fitting?

The units are extremely easy to hook up. Just go to HD and pickup a flexible steel tubing with a "T" unit. Take a wrench and AFTER WATER IS SHUT OFF, remove old tubing for example under sink and put on T and then steel hose in it's place. With needed adapters from steel "T" to possibly John Getz fittings connect to RO/DI unit.

To get anyone in the group, go to Members Section and PM them.

Howard

The units are extremely easy to hook up. Just go to HD and pickup a flexible steel tubing with a "T" unit. Take a wrench and AFTER WATER IS SHUT OFF, remove old tubing for example under sink and put on T and then steel hose in it's place. With needed adapters from steel "T" to possibly John Getz fittings connect to RO/DI unit.

To get anyone in the group, go to Members Section and PM them.

Howard

27375[/snapback]

I think these guys want to attach the unit to the faucet itself - not to the water line underneath. Your best bet is to buy this adapter on Ebay. I couldn't find one locally although I ended up deciding that hooking the system up to the feed line to the toilet was the easiest in my apartment. The faucet adapter is available from a few other sources - other RO manufacturers and such. If you need help with a hard plumbing hookup, Howards' advice will work or I could lend you a hand. Be careful if you have the hard pvc plumbing that it is heated so fitting connect....I learned this lesson the hard way.

I never could find the faucet adaptors at local hardware stores, and bought them online. I know online vendors Marine Depot and Air Water and Ice (that's where I got my unit) have them.

DMC

Cool to see some of you are very local - I live in Falls Church and am a new member to WAMAS. I'm impressed with all the stuff you guys know and if you were ever willing to stop by sometime to look at my setup and give me some ideas it woud be awesome. Thanks.

Hey Dano,

I'm at 2927 Rogers Dr between 29/50. I'll be busy the next couple of days but maybe afterwards, will catch up with you?

Howard

Thanks, Howard. That would be great. I am just west of 7 corners off of sleepy hollow and kerns (off Annandale). Dano

You guys are great. Thanks, Chip. I think I sat next to you at the talk last week. I'm usually around the house on Friday and the weekends, except Sunday morn. Fridays, Sunday and Saturday afternoons would be great if it works for you. My cell phone is 202 210-5947. thanks. Dano