want to rebuild my lighting on my 14 gallon nano

neilthepirate

I am looking to get rid of my compact lights/ t-5's and convert my hood to an led lighting system... I have no clue how to do it but i will provide the funding and pay someone to walk me through the process. It could be through corals in my tank or cash money.. i have miminal tools but would be wiling to purchase them.. if anyone can recommend me to anyone that would be awesome or help me out please

thanks

neil

What kind of tank is that? Are the footprint of the tank is similar to Nanocube 12g?

You need heatsink, driver(s) (meanwell D or buck puck), power supply if you use buckpuck), wiring, soldering skills, thermal paste or the thermal stickers that nanotuners sells. I don't think you need optic on LEd if the size of your tank similar to NC12. Also you need 1/2 PC fans on the hood sucking air out from heatsink. As for dimming, you can either built one of those DIY dimmer that works with Meanwell D or use buckpuck which has POT on it. If you have Reefkeeper, you can use ALC module and meanwell D drivers to do the dimming for you.

Buckpuck can only drive a maximum of 6 LED per driver while Meanwell can drive about 12 max. It's all depends on personal preference on driver selection

Acclimation of corals to LED is important. Dimming is a must (or you can adjust the height or use some screen to control the light penetration)

There are a lot guides in N-R to give you an idea how to etc.

You could get in on the LED group buy that is going on now. Jason plans on ordering in the next couple of weeks. There has been talk of doing a group build afterward.

Acclimation of corals to LED is important. Dimming is a must (or you can adjust the height or use some screen to control the light penetration)

This statement is simply not true. Dimming is purely a luxury item and not needed on any captive reef. If you keep your corals under T12 bulbs, then maybe you might need to protect them from the harshness of LED, but since most LFS and other places where you might buy corals use high intensity lighting, making the switch to LED shouldn't be an issue. Water quality is more of a concern to the well being of your corals than lighting issues. I have LED systems on 5 different tanks and have yet to see a single coral react negatively to the light. If you'd like to see high intensity LED over sensitive corals, drop by the house and check it out.

This statement is simply not true. Dimming is purely a luxury item and not needed on any captive reef. If you keep your corals under T12 bulbs, then maybe you might need to protect them from the harshness of LED, but since most LFS and other places where you might buy corals use high intensity lighting, making the switch to LED shouldn't be an issue. Water quality is more of a concern to the well being of your corals than lighting issues. I have LED systems on 5 different tanks and have yet to see a single coral react negatively to the light. If you'd like to see high intensity LED over sensitive corals, drop by the house and check it out.

Couldnt agree more, when I switched I just thew it right in there, the few at the top reacted just fine, in fact I think they liked it better. The whole dimming thing is really a giant waste. Everyone is so concerned with dimming, but why.? What is your need to Dim, you couldnt do it before, why MUST you now. Raise or lower the light and you can change the intensity, but when you dim to accomodate some, you could be shorting other things.. Just my $.02..

I am not trying to get into argument but I beg deferred. Also for dimming you can control the color on your lights too and just having RB only too.

Just look at the number on your EvilPar38

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221433&hl=par38

From the LED guru Evil

PAR is directly controlled by intensity.
Edited by thewire

Im not opposed to dimming, I just dont think its necessary. People on here are asking what they need and how do I build it, and they all want dimmable. Very few have done there homework, if you cant figure out what you need or how to build it, then why in the world do you want dimming lights. Its not a knock at you, its just everybody wants to jump in the pool, but very few took swimming lessons.. Ie, on the gb thread people just post, I have this tank, what do I need? You need to read up and understand it first, do some research first. Thats where my dimming issue is. People want it, but dont know a thing about it..

Im not opposed to dimming, I just dont think its necessary. People on here are asking what they need and how do I build it, and they all want dimmable. Very few have done there homework, if you cant figure out what you need or how to build it, then why in the world do you want dimming lights. Its not a knock at you, its just everybody wants to jump in the pool, but very few took swimming lessons.. Ie, on the gb thread people just post, I have this tank, what do I need? You need to read up and understand it first, do some research first. Thats where my dimming issue is. People want it, but dont know a thing about it..

I agree. If you want to dim, and your tank is small it may even be worth it to buy a couple different sets of optics.... Start with some 80's then move to some 60's or even to 40's. They optics are not that much, and a heck of a lot easier than creating a dimming fixture just to acclimate corals. The dawn to dusk is cool, but a dimming driver alone will not accomplish this goal. You also need a controller... Lot's of work for little reward. imo.

Bowie, couldnt agree more.. I dont think peopel really understand how dimming works. I get the idea that people assume you buy dimmable drivers and a dimmer, and your set. I think a controller is a great purchase, but if your getting one just to dim the lights its a complete waste, and I agree optics are a much better option to start with, along with raising and lowering. As for changing the color, you can always switch out different bulbs so you dont have to kill the intensity.. Bottom line is, people need to do THERE OWN research and then ask questions that they might understand the answers to.